Chapter Seven

122 AC

Nearly a year has passed since Lord Rickon Stark's passing, yet the words of the red priestess, Melisandre, continue to echo in my mind, a constant, haunting whisper that refuses to be silenced.

"The dragon you seek is where fire and blood meet."

Dragonstone

The answer seemed to crystallize in my mind with an unshakeable certainty. It was there, amidst the ancient stronghold that has long served as the heart of Targaryen power, where I felt my destiny awaited. A place where the lineage of fire and blood reigned supreme.

Tomorrow, I was to journey to Dragonstone, having received an invitation from Princess Rhaenyra and Prince Daemon. The occasion was to celebrate the birth of Viserys II, born a mere fortnight ago, a new scion in the legacy of dragons. The King and Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, along with their children, were also to be in attendance, marking the event as one of paramount importance.

As I lay in the quiet of my chambers, the weight of anticipation pressed heavily upon me. This visit was not merely a formality, a polite nod to royal celebration. No, it was a convergence of fates, a step closer to the prophecy that had been whispered to me in the darkened woods of the North.

Under my mother Rhaenys' counsel, we decided to journey to Dragonstone astride dragonback, leveraging the proximity between our home in Driftmark and the ancient Targaryen stronghold. It was a common enough practice among those of us entwined with the blood of dragons—Laena, Daemon, and Rhaenyra often flitted between these realms on the wings of their mighty beasts.

Throughout this time, the bond between Aemond and myself deepened significantly, evolving from mere duty to genuine affection. My lessons in swimming for Aemond broke new ground in our relationship. It was a peculiar thing, teaching a Targaryen to navigate the waters with the same ease they commanded the skies. Yet, I sensed its importance, a skill that might prove vital in unforeseen futures.

Though I had not yet bonded with a dragon of my own, Aemond graciously shared Vhagar's back with me on several flights. Those moments, soaring high above the earth, brought an unexpected solace to the ache left by my sister's passing. The vast emptiness of Driftmark seemed less consuming with each flight, a balm to the solitude that had clutched at my heart.

With our marriage on the horizon, only a year away, Alicent, the queen herself, had taken an active role in the preparations. Her guidance in navigating the intricacies of court life and royal expectations was invaluable, though I remained wary, conscious of the delicate balance within the court. Alicent endeavored to mold me into the image of a lady befitting a dragon rider, yet my heart still leaned more towards the clash of steel than the whisper of silk against skin.

As I sealed my latest correspondence to Cregan, I couldn't help but ponder the resilience of our friendship. Despite the vast distances and the looming shadow of conflict known as the Dance of the Dragons, our shared experiences and dreams had forged a bond I hoped would endure the trials ahead. The dance was coming, and with it, a test of every tie that bound me to my past and my future.

"Lyanna, it's time we made our departure," Mother, Princess Rhaenys, called out with a tone that, despite its gentleness, carried the weight of authority. I always admired her strength, though I knew her heart bore the heavy scars of losing her eldest children. Their absence was a silent ache between us, an invisible thread weaving through our every interaction. Yet, she remained the pillar I leaned upon, my guide through the turbulence of our lives.

I followed her, tracing her confident steps towards Meleys, our magnificent dragon. The Red Queen, as Meleys was affectionately known, was a sight to behold with her scarlet scales gleaming under the sun and pink membranes that stretched across her wings. Her crest, horns, and claws shone with the brilliance of polished copper. History spoke of her swiftness, a legend amongst dragons, rivaled by few. To me, Meleys was more than just a beast of war or a symbol of our house's power; she was part of our family. Her fondness for me, almost maternal, was a constant source of comfort.