Chapter Nine

123 AC

As I stood in my chambers at King's Landing, draped in a gown that shimmered like the morning sun over the Blackwater, I prepared for my wedding to Aemond. The great hall of the Red Keep, just floors below, thrummed with the hum of an eager crowd as they made their way to the Great Sept of Baelor. My chambers, by contrast, were a quiet sanctuary where my nerves were gently calmed by the presence of my mother, Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, and Queen Alicent Hightower.

Queen Alicent, adjusting a delicate Tiara, offered a warm smile. "Lyanna, you look absolutely radiant. The entire realm will be spellbound by your beauty tonight."

I returned her smile with gratitude, touched by her encouraging words. "Thank you, Your Grace. Your kindness means a great deal today."

My mother, her eyes misting with unshed tears, added, "Your father, Corlys, would have been so proud to see you today. He regrets deeply that his battle in the stepstone have kept him away"

"I know, Mother," I responded, allowing myself a moment to feel the weight of his absence. "I pray for his swift and safe return."

At that moment, the doors to my chamber opened with quiet authority to reveal King Viserys. His gaze was tender, his smile broad as he took in the sight of me. "Lyanna, my dear, you are the epitome of grace and beauty—a perfect bride to bring honor to our House. I look forward to the day I hold my grandchildren."

His words, meant to be comforting, sparked a flutter of nerves in my stomach. I curtsied deeply, my voice steady despite the butterflies. "Thank you, Your Grace. I am committed to upholding the honor of our house and fulfilling your expectations."

King Viserys stepped forward, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. "You will do more than that, I am sure. You will excel." His confidence was reassuring, and a new resolve settled over me.

As he left, the room fell silent again, save for the soft rustling of silk and the distant echoes of music rising from the great hall. Turning back to the mirror,

The Queen believed the wedding should be a spectacle unlike any other, and as the time for the ceremony approached, my heart thrummed with a blend of excitement and apprehension. I made my way down the aisle of the grand Sept, the air heavy with the scent of incense and the soft glow of candlelight illuminating the path before me. My eyes met Aemond's, his violet gaze shimmering with adoration. As I reached his side, he took my hand, infusing me with a reassuring warmth that only he could provide. His look conveyed a love so profound it seemed to envelop me completely.

The High Septon began the ceremony with the traditional cloaking. "You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection," he intoned, his voice echoing off the ancient stone walls. Aemond lifted the cloak—a rich tapestry of Targaryen crimson and Velaryon blue—and draped it over my shoulders, symbolizing his vow to protect and cherish me.

"We stand here in the sight of gods and men to witness the union of man and wife: one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever," the High Septon declared. He then bound our hands together with a ceremonial ribbon, symbolizing our union. The ribbon's silver threads gleamed in the candlelight, a tangible reminder of the sacred vows we were about to exchange.

"Let it be known that Aemond Targaryen of House Targaryen and Lyanna Velaryon of House Velaryon are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder," the High Septon continued.

"In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity. Look upon one another and say the words," he instructed.

Together, Aemond and I spoke our vows in unison, voices steady despite the overwhelming emotions: "Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger..."