Chapter Twelve

As I stared at my reflection in the mirror, adjusting the unfamiliar green gown that draped over my shoulders, I felt a tremor of unease. The lush fabric, an emblem of House Hightower, clung to my body, marking me in colors that were not my own. At eight and ten, I had outgrown the simplicity of childhood, yet here I was, cloaked in a symbol that whispered of allegiances I was still grappling to understand. Queen Alicent had commissioned this dress specifically for me, each stitch a silent assertion of the role she envisioned for me within her camp.

The handmaidens worked around me in a flutter of efficiency, their skilled hands brushing and braiding my hair, their movements precise. They adorned my neck with a golden Seven-Pointed Star necklace, its weight cold and foreign against my skin.

"Careful with the pins," I murmured as one jabbed slightly too close to my scalp.

"Apologies, my lady," the nearest handmaiden whispered, her fingers gentle as she adjusted the pin.

The preparations were for my upcoming visit to the Sept of Baelor with Queen Alicent. Wearing green, especially now, was a powerful statement of political intent. The city was a hive of whispered allegiances and open declarations, and today, I would be making mine alongside the queen.

As the last pin was secured, Genevieve returned to the chamber, her hands empty and her expression somber.

"No letter?" I questioned immediately, a hopeful note barely concealed in my tone.

"No, Your Grace," she replied, her voice tinged with regret.

"It's been four moon, and still no word from my mother," I sighed, my reflection in the mirror blurring as I felt a pang of isolation.

Genevieve approached, her presence comforting. "These are trying times, my lady. Messages are oft delayed or lost amidst the chaos."

I nodded, knowing she spoke the truth, yet it did little to ease the ache of separation. "I just hope she understands why I must do this," I added softly, more to myself than to Genevieve.

"We do what we must for the good of our houses and the realm," she affirmed, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

With a final glance at my reflection, I straightened my shoulders and prepared to step out. Today, clad in green, I would be seen not just as Lyanna of House Velaryon, but as a key player in the intricate game of thrones that was ever unraveling within the walls of King's Landing. The weight of the Seven-Pointed Star around my neck felt heavier than ever, a constant reminder of the path I had chosen—or perhaps, the path that had chosen me.

 The weight of the Seven-Pointed Star around my neck felt heavier than ever, a constant reminder of the path I had chosen—or perhaps, the path that had chosen me

As I made my way down the ornate hallways of the Red Keep, the weight of the gown seemed to grow with each step, reminding me of the gravity of the day ahead. Ser Rickard walked beside me, a silent, reassuring presence. His armor clinked softly with our synchronized steps, a sound that had become familiar and oddly comforting in these tumultuous times.