Chapter 29

Running through an open field gave us the ability to take in a pretty view and absolutely nothing else. It was the most deceptive kind of trap – one that made us think we could go anywhere. The reality was that it left us constantly in the open with no places to hide or gain defense.

Far off to our left, I could see the open road with a sparse few cars on it. Beyond that, more fields. The same was to our right, but with a fence rather than a road breaking up the snow-covered land. Our only hope lay ahead of us.

A little over a mile away was another line of trees. There was no telling how deep the trees went or what stood on the other side, but we needed to reach it. We needed to gain some sort of upper hand. There were no other options.

I'm getting less cold.

I was steadily becoming warmer despite the freezing temperature. I knew it couldn't have been a good sign. My heart squeezed in panic, but it was already beating so hard that I could feel it in my throat.

To keep myself going, I thought of nothing else but my single next step. My own movements consumed me. I watched the way my feet would disappear into the snow and drag their way back up to freedom with every stride. It helped me not think of the group of people trailing behind us.

We can't even cover our tracks.

It hardly mattered in a field. But, if we ever did find a building to hideaway in, our tracks would lead them right to us.

That's why they are staying back.

Since I'd shot their companions, they were no longer trying to gain on us. They were playing it safe and keeping a distance. The few times I looked behind us, I could see that they were huddled together and walking at a steady pace. It was only us that were forced to run. They believed they'd catch us eventually.

I pushed myself harder, wanting to go faster, but I was burning out. Exhaustion was creeping up on me and I could feel that my back was becoming sleek with sweat.

Only twenty more feet.

We were so close to the tree line. Ray was already there. I was trying to urge him to keep going when Paula stumbled. Hard.

She went to one knee, catching herself with her hands in the snow. "I'm good," she said as Carlos reached down to help her up. "I'm good. Go!"

She wasn't good. Even with Carlos's help, it took her three tries to stand again. I watched as she tried to keep herself steady, but she was leaning heavily on her husband.

"I'm fine," she told me. Her nearly-blue lips said otherwise.

She's not shivering anymore.

Warning bells were blaring in my head, but I was helpless to do anything about them. I knew her pants and boots were still wet and that even her backpack was damp. I knew she didn't have a shirt on under Carlos's coat. I knew she was running out of time.

The voices of the group following us echoed through the wind.

We had to keep going.

"Give me your backpack." My words sounded clipped and harsh even to my own ears, but the frustration was aimed at myself. I hated feeling helpless.

Paula didn't argue with me. Her hands fumbled with the straps, but she got it off and passed it to me. I was right. It was damp.

Holding Carlos's rifle with one hand, I put a strap of the backpack over one shoulder. The weight wasn't crushing, but it was heavy for a single shoulder to take. It was made worse by how awkward and uncomfortable the bag was squeezed in next to the backpack that already occupied my back. I tried to rebalance myself, but I knew I was going to have to struggle through it.