Chapter 53

When faced with a reality that offers only terrible choices, it suddenly becomes unfathomably hard to move in any direction at all. My feet stayed fused to the ground as I searched the world around me for a way out.

There was none.

I had to make a choice.

I looked back down at the trail I made with my heart in my throat. Every second I didn't face my problem was one more moment I gave the Judge and his people time to catch up.

Think.

Swallowing hard, I ignored the blood trail and made myself move to the nearby shop to lean against the side of it. When I had myself in a steady position, I raised one of my booted feet to rest on my opposite knee. A hot flush of horror ran through me at the sight of the bottom of it. The 'J' had been clearly and deeply carved into its sole.

I dropped my foot and raised my cold hands to my face, hearing the cuff around my wrist rattle as I did.

They did it while I was unconscious.

My mind spun with the revelation.

Did they do it to Misty and Hayden too?

We could have all been marked like cattle.

But... what if we weren't?

My hands fell limply to my sides.

What if I was the only one they were ever going to let go?

My stomach churned and had I not already been feeling dehydrated, I was sure my body would have released whatever fluid it had left. Instead, I focused on each of my breaths. I had to focus on what was ahead.

I had two options presented before me.

Option one: go straight to my group. If I was able to find them fast enough, then we had the chance to figure out how to get out of the situation together. I could simply ditch the boots and let the trail run cold.

I'm too close.

It was true. If the group trailing me had numbers, then they might be able to scout the area and discover my group before we could make any moves towards safety. In the end, the risk was high, but it at least would reconnect me with my people.

Or, I could choose option two and make a false trail that would lead away from the people I cared about.

But, the boots would have to stay on my feet.

I glanced down at them. Keeping the boots on had the probability of turning whatever move I made into a death march. They suddenly felt almost too heavy and constricting on my feet. I wasn't sure how I was going to move in them, but I did.

Pushing myself off the wall, I stepped back into my original position. I knew if I continued dead straight, there was a strong chance I'd see my group again... before I led hell to their doorstep. I turned left instead.

My walk turned into a run. My breathing quickly became labored, but I pushed ahead.

I'll find you again.

The promise was made with more determination than confidence, but I had to be smart – I couldn't be selfish. Each footprint I left in the snow was a beacon that I had to guide and place carefully. I couldn't simply run in circles.

If I'm going to do it right, then I have to...

My thoughts trailed off as my jaunt was forced to a quick and sudden end. Ahead of me was a zombie. It had come out from behind the side of an office building. I was trying to make the decision whether or not to try and face it or skirt around it when a second zombie emerged.