Chapter 36

It was a pretty scene. A small, brown ranch house with cream-colored trim was nestled into a woods of large pine and ash trees. Its long, winding driveway was only just hidden underneath the snow, but a trail of footprints guided the way to the burgundy front door. Smoke billowed from its chimney and a gentle glow of light was cast from its windows.

The home looked warm and welcoming. In another time and place, I could have pictured a family residing inside, curled up by the fire with some hot cocoa. I would have clung to the image – held it in my mind's eye and found comfort in the nostalgia – if I had not spent the better part of an hour watching a man cradle a rifle in his lap through a front window.

His face was drawn in exhaustion as he stared out into the remnants of the night, blind to the eyes that watched him from the woods. Every once in a while, his bulbous nose would dip down towards his chest, showing off the top of his balding head as sleep would tempt him. Unfortunately, it never lasted long as he always managed to catch himself and jerk himself back upright into a rigid posture.

The man had little idea of the allure he created.

We can always try again later...

I could almost hear Ian chastising me. It hardly mattered though. I was fixated.

If we take this house, we would get another gun.

They could also have ammo and food. Getting their goods had the potential to completely change our quality of life and our ability to survive.

It has to be worth it.

All I could see was a juicy, low-hanging fruit that was ripe for the plucking. What I struggled with was how best to take it. At first, I'd been sure the man would eventually nod off and we'd be able to break into the house at the front. As time passed and the looming dawn drew nearer, I knew we could no longer wait.

"It's time for the next plan," I told the group.

We were all freezing, shivering, and sniveling as we hid amongst the trees. There was no glamor in staking out a place and we were all reaching our limit.

"But what if there is someone at the back? It really is almost impossible to get a look through those windows," Misty said through chattering teeth. I had sent her to scout out the back of the house, but there hadn't been much luck. Very little light was cast from inside the home at the back, making it easy for someone to hide in shadows within.

"We have to risk it. We haven't seen any other movement. Maybe he's alone?" I doubted it, but it was possible. At the very least, it would be better than facing the man with the gun head-on. We needed the element of surprise.

"Alright, I can show you the path I found." Misty sounded reluctant but she held her fire poker ready. Even though she failed to spot anyone in the house, she still traced out what she believed was the best way to sneak up to the house without being seen.

"Carlos, you and Ray stay here and watch our backs. Okay?" I waited before adding, "And you'll shoot if necessary?" It was meant to be a demand, but still couldn't help but form it as a question. It was hard to rid myself of my concern for him.

Carlos worked his jaw in what looked like frustration. "I told you. I got it."

"Good. Right. Thanks. Well, uh, I guess we'll scream if anything happens, so listen for that."

Carlos nodded and I met eyes with Ray. "Please don't let us down."

He understood me. "We won't," he stated plainly. I knew he would rip the gun out of Carlos's hands and use it himself if that was what it came down to.