14 - Mason

"Just ask her out, Man." Darius and Shawn stand in my backyard tossing a football back and forth. They had the weekend off and drove down to visit me, claiming I was missing their pretty faces.

Losers.

"It's not like that Shawn. She's," I pause and drop my head into my hands. "She's special. She's not just some random girl I think is hot at the bar, she's more than that. All she's willing to give is friendship, and I'll take it."

Delilah's unexpected visit last week confirmed all of my questions. Nothing was going to happen between us, nothing would ever again. She called me her friend and told me she'd be here for me, as a friend. If that wasn't clearer than being written down I don't know what is.

"Well, what do you want?" Shawn drops down onto the bench next to me while Darius leans against the pillar in front of us.

What do I want? I'd like a healed shoulder for starters. Maybe a Dad who loved me and a Mom who cared enough to be in her son's life. Maybe to go back in time and figure out where it all went wrong with Delilah, figure out what I could've done.

"A lot." I settled on it.

"If you like her, and still have feelings for her then fight for her." Darius looks at me seriously. "Life is too short and too unpredictable to not tell someone you love them." He shuffles his feet and I take what he said to heart.

The word love sent tingles down my spine and a cold feeling across my chest.

"I don't know about love man, it's been years." I shake my head and stand. "I guess just being around her again has opened up a can of memories and feelings I thought I fucking buried. Deep." I take a breath.

I should spend my time worrying about my recovery and whether or not I'll still have a spot on the team when I'm healthy. I should be doing everything in my power to get better sooner. Instead, I'm worrying over a girl I fell in love with years ago who's made it very clear what's done is buried.

"Whatever you say. I just think that you've been given another chance, another opportunity to be around her again. You're older, maybe wiser but I wouldn't give you that much," Shawn laughs at Darius' words. "But you're definitely not the same man you were when she last saw you. You're adults now, and you have this chance."

A chance? A chance to what? I wasn't stupid enough to believe for a minute that Delilah would take me back as I am, in the circumstances we are in. I'd be leaving again, just like I had to the first time we were in this position.

"Stop worrying so much and just live." Darius steps up to me and taps on my good shoulder. "You're getting wrinkles hot shot." I shove my left fist into his chest as threateningly as possible with the zero strength I have.

I have to admit it was nice having them around again. It'd been weeks since I'd been away from the team and leaving behind all that crazy to come here in the middle of nowhere, was a change.

"Can't say I missed your very insightful advice D, but I do appreciate you guys coming down." I make my way back into the house, the frigid air reminding me I'm wearing nothing but a hoodie.

"Couldn't leave you without my presence for long." Shawn teases, taking a seat on the open island. I hand him a cold beer and pass one to D. We sit in silence for some time, watching the TV that's playing Monday night football.

"Hey, didn't you say there is a bar in town? Why don't we stop there for a few drinks, and get out of the house?" Shawn asks, setting his beer on the marble table.

"I'm not really up for that shit right now." I step aside and head for the living room. "But you two feel free, all the locals will be there. I'm sure they'd love to meet you and get some autographs." I sit on the empty couch.