30 - Mason

I'm anxious and uncomfortable.

Sitting in a room full of people who dictate and navigate my career when really all I want to do is go home and be with one person. I just got her back, just got her close enough to hold and I don't want that to slip away.

It feels right, it feels different yet the same.

Saying it feels completely different this time just wouldn't be true because we were always right for one another. We were always the end game, and no time has changed that.

I fidget with a piece of lint on my dark-wash jeans and stare across the table at a bunch of concentrated faces. The meeting has been going on for an hour and they've come to no conclusion. After my injury two other starters faced minor ones, so they're figuring out the scheduling of it all.

This is one of the first moments in my professional career I was unfocused at a table full of my team. Usually, I spend these meetings being fully involved but I've felt more like an outsider these last sixty minutes than I have in three years.

"Sound good, Jones?" Kenny, one of the trainers, looks at me expectantly. I nod in agreement, not really knowing what exactly I'm agreeing to.

I just want to leave. Get back to Portsneck.

"Okay great, you'll be back in the training room with the team in two weeks. I'd get things wrapped up at home and change doctors back up here." I snap my neck up, looking at Kenny.

"Two weeks?" I am again, to be sure.

He nods and shakes his head in annoyance. "Pay attention next time, meathead." They laugh around the table and I join in, not wanting to look like a fool.

Two weeks, I only have two weeks to get my shit in order, two weeks to prove to Delilah that what we have is worth holding onto.

I can do it.

I say my goodbyes to the team and make my way down to the black SUV that waits for me outside. There are a few photographers and I flash a smile at the onslaught of lights.

"Mason!"

"Jones, are you ready to be back?" I nod at that one.

"Mason, who is Delilah McKenna?" I stop in my tracks.

The question comes from a short black-haired girl to my left. She has big red frame glasses and tattoos all up her arms. I look at her in surprise, my eyes covered with my black ray bans.

"Excuse me?" She smirks at me knowingly.

"Delilah McKenna? The girl you've been spotted with on your time away from the team. Who is she to you?" She quizzes me and I stiffen.

We have a stare off and for a minute I almost dignify her with a response but instead, I just smirk and turn away. Once I'm in the SUV the screams and shouts of the gathering crowd disappear and so does my facade.

I pull up my phone and open up to Delilah's number.

Me: I miss you.

I don't know why I sent it, the reporter got on my nerves and had me doubting. I would've answered her, I wanted to answer her. I want to shout from the rooftops and tell everyone how much Delilah means to me, but we're not there yet.

Yet.

Sometimes I think about how it all would've gone minus the breakup. Red carpets and charity dinners, all with her by my side. Pictures of the both of us all over the internet, pushing into our lives.

She would've hated it but would've tolerated it for me.

My phone dings with a message.

Delilah: It's only been a day.