Chapter 15: It is Known

I'M always afraid, you know. This fear... it wasn't supposed to manifest if only plans are meant to unfailingly go as they should be. But they don't so, we have to make do with it like how we tearily have to swallow bitter medicine. After Caesar stormed out of the café without sipping a drop of coffee or biting one of the dozen pastries he'd put on my tray, my days passed just like that. And as if they're mocking me, the clouds have all gathered to rain upon my anxiety.

"Do you dislike the rain, Mrs. Montelier?" a deep, yet honeyed voice asked. "If you wish, we could move into the lounge. You are our honored guest, by all means."

Sa pagtapik sa 'kin ng reyalidad, may impit na ngiti kong ibinalik ang atensyon ko sa mga mahahalagang dalaga at ginang sa bawat negosyong pinatatakbo ng Familia de Montelier.

"On the contrary, I like them," I admitted as I coyly tilt my head to the side, appearing as mysterious as I can be to poke their curiosities. "After all, I also met my husband in such unruly weather."

The ladies' mouths turned round just like the scones in their plates. Some who initially didn't bother to participate in this rainy afternoon tea party turned their heads as if a new breeze has come in. I also saw how Reinald Cortez silently glanced in my direction from a corner, mentally taking notes of every single thing I mentioned so that we can keep the 'love story' consistent with those we have to deceive.

"Oh my! I know it'd be rude, but since the rain might keep you here longer, would you like to indulge us, Miss Quinzel?" this gathering's host, Mrs. Teresita Dolores, excitedly inquired. Her being a chatterbox is quite well-known, which others are wary of, but so was her beauty when she was young. But alas... what I need from her is not the latter.

Pakunyari kong pinaglaruan ang mga daliri ko habang nakapatong sila sa lamesa, nagpapanggap na nahihiya kahit na ba nakaukit na sa dila ko ang mga salita. "Kapwa estranghero kami sa isa't isa. May kalakasan ang ulan pero parang humahaplos lamang ito sa balat. Natagpuan ko siyang basa't bahagyang nangangatog sa lilim ng isang malaking puno," pagpapanimula ko ng kwento na siyang ikinaayos ng pagkakaupo ng lahat.

This is Teresita Dolores; she's the key to hearing the conversations men usually hide and bury to the ground. Though her house is humble compared to the Montelier, her reign in high society says otherwise. It is her we need to keep Caesar's plans at bay, for everyone sometimes forgets a cold truth. Where wars only truly start and end is on the white-lacey table. And when that table has a woman, she needs neither her temper nor a sword, but her wits alone.

And what better way to get the Teresita Dolores to my side if not showing my prowess to her favorite war approach?

"However, I was cautious and aggressive at the same time; I brandished a dagger at his neck before I could even ask him who he was."

Sabay-sabay na napasinghap ang mga tagapakinig. Maging ang mga kasamahang mayordomo nila'y nagsalitan ng tingin sa gigilid. Sino nga naman ang mag-aakalang may isang babaeng maglalakas ng loob na tutukan ng patalim ang lalaking higit na kinatatakutan na banggain ninuman?