Chapter 24: Gretel

I MUST'VE sounded so brave and resolute that day. To draw such a decision that is more or less unfaithful to the vow I swore to her, my conscience can't help but be choked by my own hypocrisy. I didn't want the object of my curiosity to be put into a pond where many await a bountiful catch, but the call I made essentially pushed her in. With my responsibility and curiosity clashing against one another, it's the only decision I can make. 

"What do you think of Mrs. Montelier, Lee?" I unconsciously asked as we strode the company building's halls, a part of my mind still in a haze after the weight of my decision eventually sank like an anchor into me. "Ikaw lang ang hindi nagsalita ng opinyon no'ng nakaraan. I thought I should ask, though I figured it's already too late."

My guard hummed for a moment and then, clicked his tongue. "Hmm. She's strange, I guess?" 

"Strange?" I turned my head at him, puzzled. 

"It's the only word that comes to mind, sir."

"Why is that?"

Ethan hugged the bouquet of peonies he was carrying tighter, his ears bright red and cheeks flushed like a boy who just got noticed by his crush. "Well, she smiles a lot even if I'm not doing anything. She never forgets to give me a piece of anything she eats, especially if they're sweets. She hardly speaks, but whenever she does, her words are also sweet!" he enthusiastically said as he touches the petals gently. 

I chuckled at his sudden display of embarrassment, but more so with his interesting response. He's usually uptight and only lets himself loose when we take the initiative to start a non-work-related conversation.  "She must've bribed you with a lot of sweets, huh?" I patted his head. "Are you not wary of her now because she seems to share your fondness for sweets?"

Isang biro lamang ang pinakawalan ko ngunit nahatak ako kung paanong nalunod sa malalim na pag-iisip si Ethan matapos nito. He's normally quick to answer, especially when it's about people. It was the first time he pulled such a peculiar comment and ended up taking his time over an obvious joke. I was relieved, but at the same time, worried.

"Then, she may not be strange, Lee," untag ko sa kaniya at iniayos ang nagulo niyang buhok. I don't want to drag him with me on overthinking things I could just concern about alone.  "If you think someone won't harm anybody and is friendly to you, the word should be 'nice' or 'kind,' don't you think?"

Pumabilog ang bibig ng pinakabatang miyembro ng High Command, animo'y isang estudyanteng may napag-alamanang bagong kaalaman. "I see!" he exclaimed but then, he went back to resting his chin on the flowers. "But Jaz and the others... they suspect her still. They think she'll hurt us someday one way or another. They think she's like Violet or perhaps, someone worse."

"Their job is to protect the Montelier Family line. We also cannot deny Charlotte's disappearance and Violet's deserting of duty. Though Quinzel is remarkable, so those two were as well. Can you blame them for thinking so?"