VII: THE BEACH

Hana woke up with the bag being pulled off her head. She was now in a room with five people, two of which were the people she'd fought earlier. "Hello," a woman said.

"I apologise for this rude introduction," a man said, "Our sentries report that there were people spying on us."

"Why are you here?" Another woman asked.

"I was told that I could find answers here," Arisu said, "What is this game? And where is everybody?"

The door opens again, and another man entered. "Where indeed. We have the answers that you are looking for. Welcome... to the oasis know as the Beach. Here is the first answer." He snapped his fingers, and two men opened up a huge sliding door. It revealed another wall, covered in all of the types of cards. Some had crosses through them. "Allow me to enlighten you. These cards... These cards are the only way to end your nightmare. To clear the game, you must collect all the cards."

"Collect all of the cards?" Arisu asked.

"If we collect all of the cards, will the world we once knew return?" Usagi asked.

"It's not the world that will return. Only one person can return to the normal world. It's impossible for one person to clear all the games and collect all fifty two cards. They could not do this alone. That's suicide. That's why we've united as one in order to allow one person to leave. That is the Beach's objective. You have been given good cards, I've been told. From now on, let's play together. United, as one, and collect the remaining cards together."

"If we say no?" Arisu asked.

"You can't say no. Your visas expire today. Seems like you have to join us."

"If we help you, you're saying we can end the game?" Usagi asked. "Will this be over?"

"Can't answer that for certain," the man asked, "But there are indications that it's possible. Everyone in this room, long before you entered the game, has been searching this country."

"This country?" Hana asked.

"Visas have been issued, therefore, this is a country. It seems that the people of Tokyo haven't disappeared like we have. We wonder, have we been transported somehow to another country? If we have, there must be a way to return."

"So together, all of us built this small organisation," one of the women said.

"Electricity is produced from a fuel-powered generator," the other woman said, "We use rainwater for our water supply."

"We got our firearms from the living and the dead," the man said, "However, only a select few of us are allowed to use them."

"Our aim here is to unite and collect al the cards together," the other man said.

"And in this... paradise, this Beach, we only have three rules. Rule one, always wear a swimsuit wherever you go."

"Why?" Arisu asked.

"You can't conceal a weapon in a swimsuit, so it's safe. Also, here, you are free to drown in alcohol, get high on drugs, and have as much sex as you want. Enjoy your life while you still can. All keys and locks have been destroyed and thrown away. There are no secrets. Rule two, all cards are the Beach's property. That means that all the cards you've collected we'll hang onto for safekeeping. Those who have contributed their cards will be promoted in numerical order. You see, after our collective effort send out the first person, it won't be long before we gather enough duplicate cards to send out a second person, then a third, and so on. The day when the Beach's brothers and sisters can leave this country is fast approaching."

"And when exactly will that be?" Arisu asked. "What if I refuse to join?"

"Well, there's tule three. The last one. Death to all traitors. People in this room have sacrificed everything to ensure a first departure from the Beach one glorious day. Soldiers in a great cause! To those who plot against us, Beach shows no mercy."

"Usagi," Arisu said, "I'm sorry that we got you involved."

"Don't be sorry. I wanted to be involved. I knew what I was doing."

The man laughed. "The seven of Hearts! The cards are with us! One of us is closer to leaving this country. We thank you. Rest assured that we will consider promoting the three of you. And now! Enjoy the Beach and whatever you desire."

Hana was showed to a room, where she changed into a bikini. She then went down to the pool area, where everyone was partying. It seemed they were having too much fun considering the situation.

Hana made her way down to a game with Arisu and one of the women from earlier, Ann

Hana made her way down to a game with Arisu and one of the women from earlier, Ann. They each took a phone, which had large cases on. This was different to the other times.

"This test will tell us if you're good candidates for the Beach executive post," Ann said, "So, do your best." She walked away.

The two looked at the phones. "A waterproof cover," Arisu said.

"I should be good at this," Hana said, "My parents forced me into all kinds of sports as a kid. Swimming was one."

Another girl then approached, picking up another phone. She turned to the pair. "I'm Kuina," she said, "Good to meet you."

"I'm Hana," Hana said, "He's Arisu."

Then, someone else came running in. Hana turned around and recognised him as the newbie from Tag. "Ms Ann!" He said, "The water's coming out pretty fast, it's getting deeper. Hey, you two!"

"Wow, you played Tag," Arisu said, "You made it, huh?"

"Yeah, now at the Beach, I'm a mechanic-"

"You can talk when the game's over," Ann said. They all walked towards the game, where water was gushing out of pipes. Everyone's phone chimed.

"Game entry is now closed. There are eight participants. The game is about to commence. Difficulty, Four of Diamonds. Game, 'Light Bulb'. Game play challenge. Which switch turns the light bulb on? Rule one: Only one of the switches, A, B, or C, will turn the light bulb on. Rule two: You only have one chance to leave the door open while flipping a switch. When the door is closed, you may flip any switch or as many as you like. Rule three: if a player is in the room and the switch is flipped on, the door to the room will be locked and cannot be reopened. Participants have only one chance to answer as a group. The game is cleared when you determine which switch turns the light bulb on. As the water level rises, should water touch the hanging electrical wires, it is game over."

"Electrical wires?" Kuina asked. As if on cue, a woman touched one of the wires, electrocuting herself. She dropped to the floor, dead.

Ann rolled her eyes. "And those would be the electrical wires."