XIV: END OF STAGE ONE

Hana ran back into the building. "Chishiya! Where are you?" She yelled.

"Over here," Chishiya said. Hana ran over to him, he stood at the table where all the phones had been, staring down at the Ten of Hearts card. She was out of breath. "You been running?" Chishiya asked.

"Yeah, looking for you. You never quit, do you?"

"I was beginning to think collecting these cards was pointless."

"And now?"

"I'm thinking that we still haven't seen any of the face cards. And so what is it that game's controllers want us to see?"

 And so what is it that game's controllers want us to see?"

Hana found shelter with Chishiya and Kuina that night. She took them back to the place she'd stayed with Chota, Shibuki, Karube and Arisu. The furniture store in the mall.

The next morning, Hana was sat on her bed, when Chishiya walked in. "What?" She asked. She was still pretty mad at him for the shit he'd pulled.

"Me and Kuina are gonna go and check out the train station, are you coming?"

"Yeah, give me a minute."

"Can I ask you something first?"

"Go ahead."

He sat down next to her. "How come you came with us instead of Usagi and Arisu?" He asked.

"I don't know. I just happened to be with you when everyone left."

"Thanks for running in to look for me."

"Didn't seem like you needed my help."

"I didn't.. For all you knew, I may not have even been in the building, but you still ran in. Why?"

"I don't know."

"I think you do."

"Fine. I care, Chishiya. You saved my life when we played Tag, and you made sure I didn't get my ass beat by the militant corps. You've pretty much kept me alive. I guess that would've been my way of repaying you, if I did have to save you. You didn't need my help though, so I guess I still owe you a favour."

"You care after I put your friends in danger?"

"It's weird. I should've killed you by now. I think, if it was anyone else, I would've."

"You know, you're the first person I've met other than Kuina who's life I've genuinely cared for. You're different to Kuina, though. I know Kuina and I are just friends, but you and I..."

"Don't say it."

"Why?"

"We barely know each other, Chishiya."

"Does any of that matter here? I'm sure you've felt more feelings for strangers here than you felt in the real world."

Hana sighed. "I do like you. How do I know you won't betray me?"

"Only a fool would betray you. I know you'd kick my ass if I did."

"You promise?"

"I swear on my life."

"Then let's give it a shot."

As the two leaned closer to eachother, Kuina walked in. "Am I interrupting something?" She asked.

"Yes," Chishiya said.

"Don't care. Let's go."

Kuina walked out, and Chishiya rolled his eyes, slowly following behind her. Hana pulled him back into the room, and into a quick kiss, before jogging after Kuina.

He smiled. This was an unfamiliar feeling to him, romance. But he liked it. He liked Hana.

Chishiya, Hana and Kuina all walked into a huge room, TVs covering the walls from head to toe

Chishiya, Hana and Kuina all walked into a huge room, TVs covering the walls from head to toe. In the seats sat dead bodies. They must have been the dealers. Well, not anymore.

At the same time, Usagi and Arisu also walked in through another door. "So you actually found this place," Chishiya said, "I expected nothing less from you."

"Long time no see," Kuina said.

"What's going on?" Usagi asked.

"Thanks to you two, I have all the numbered playing cards right here. Thank you."

"How did you find this place?" Arisu asked.

Chishiya held up the piece of paper he'd taken from the taggers pocket not long again. "It took me a while, but I figured out that this is actually the map of a subway station. So what happens when we collect all the cards? I thought coming here would provide me with an answer. But I gotta tell you, I only know one thing."

"These people aren't the game masters, are they?"

"Right. What's pretty clear is they were all killed after our victory. They're just humans like us, and the kicker is... there's someone above them."

"So, then... who could that be?" Usagi asked.

"Who knows? Maybe aliens. Maybe God."

The screens all suddenly flickered on as music started playing. The screens displayed the words 'SPECIAL URGENT BROADCAST' and pictures of each cards suit.

"Congratulations to all players," a voice said. Everyone moved to see who it was. Mira. That was a shocker. "Except from the face cards, you've all completed the numbered games and emerged victorious. And the prize of these sweet victories was the sacrifice of many lives. I wonder just how many of your close friends have died? Do you remember the ones who were shot in the head? That girl you burned alive? The ones stuck down by lasers? Or the ones who drowned? The ones whose heads were blow off? Your friends. All that despair you felt. Those gruesome scenes, you'll never forget them. And that really touches me! To all surviving players, we just want to give you a present. There will be new games! Let's all play, and this time with all the face cards!"

"New games?" Kuina asked.

"I don't hate that idea," Chishiya said.

"I do," Hana rolled her eyes. Chishiya held her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. He didn't let go.

"We've got so many more wonderful and exciting games in store for you all, so be prepared!" Mira said.

"So then," Usagi said, "Is she the game master?"

"I think I'd rather see an alien up there," Kuina said.

"The next stage starts tomorrow," Mira said, "When the clock strikes noon. Let's have some fun, all together!"

"So we have to fight once again," Usagi asked.

"Yeah," Arisu said, "But there's one different. Now we know what our target looks like." They went outside to see airships with the face cards hanging from them. "That's where we'll find our answers."

END OF STAGE ONE