XII: WITCH HUNT

Chishiya and Hana walked outside, where they met Kuina. "So if the cards are gonna be all for you anyway, whyd you ask me to come?" Hana asked.

"I've already told you, you're my bodyguard. I'm the brains, you're the brawn," Chishiya said.

As Chishiya and Kuina spoke, Hana thought through all the ways she could get the cards from Chishiya. She was about to walk out, when Chishiya stopped her.

"Wait," he said, putting his arm out in front of her. He threw his locker key out, and a hole was burnt through it.

"Shit," Hana said, "Is the Beach..."

"A game arena."

The PA chimed, and a man's voice came over the speakers. "We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank you for staying at Seaside Paradise, Tokyo. As a token of our appreciation, we will now commence a game with all fifty-right participants in the venue."

For a second, Hana considered pushing Chishiya throw the barrier, but then the cards would be gone, and everyone's hard work would be for nothing.

The three walked into the annex, picking up phones as the game began.

"Difficulty, Ten of Hearts. All participants must assemble in the lobby immediately. The rules of the game will then be explained. I repeat, all participants must assembly in the lobby immediately."

They all stood around a body. The first victim of the game. "Momoka!" Her friend yelled, "Momoka! Why..."

"Game, Witch Hunt. The murderous witch who killed this girl is hiding amongst you in plain sight. The witch roles is not limited to women. To clear the game, you must find the witch and burn him or her in the Fire of Judgement. Time limit, two hours. Game start."

"There's a fire at the back of the building!" A man yelled.

"We have to find whoever murdered Momoka and burn them in the Fire of Judgement," Ann said.

"A witch hunt game, huh?" Niragi said, "This ought to be good. All right, let's go witch hunting!"

Kuina, Chishiya and Hana all left before it could get out of hand, making their way to the CCTV room. They watched on the screens as everyone was killed by the militant corps.

"They've all gone crazy," Kuina said.

"Not their smartest move," Chishiya said, "Why would they go so far just to survive?"

"There's no way to find out who the witch is this way."

"You could be the witch. Right, Kuina?"

"Or it could be one of you."

"If I was the witch, Momoka wouldn't be the first to die," Hana said, "It would be one of you. Maybe Niragi."

Hana got up, ready to leave. "Where are you going?" Chishiya asked, grabbing her wrist.

"Out."

"Alone?"

"Yes, alone. I'll be fine. Not that you care."

"I care. You may be able to take one gunman, hey, maybe even two, but going out there alone is guaranteed death. You stay with me."

"Why not with Kuina?"

Chishiya didn't answer. Hana sat back down, although she didn't want to. She figured Chishiya was right. In the least cocky way possible, she knew she could fight, and she knew she could take one of two of them, but she didn't wanna risk running into all of them at once and getting gunned down. That wouldn't be a pretty death.

They all left eventually. Kuina went off on her own, while Chishiya and Hana made their way up to the roof. "Why are we going up here?" Hana asked.

"Niragi."

Niragi was on the roof, shooting at everyone he saw down below. For a second, it seemed like he was rethinking everything. Only for a second.

"Don't you get tired of bullying people weaker than you?" Chishiya asked. He stood still, fairly far from Niragi. Hana stood slightly in front of him.

"And where were you hiding? Behind your little girlfriend?" Niragi asked.

"There are lots of places for me to hide that aren't behind Hana."

"You really get on my nerves, you know that? Think you're so goddamn smart! Acting like you're so damn clever."

"I don't have to act clever."

Niragi stood up. "Okay then. Tell her to move and we can put an end to this right now."

"Why do I have to move?" Hana asked.

"Wouldn't wanna hurt something so pretty. Not yet."

Chishiya gently pushed Hana out of the way, a look of annoyance on his face. He wasn't really gonna fight Niragi, was he?

"Our main power supply's been diverted since this game started," Chishiya said.

"What?"

"The electricity we've always used from these power generators was switched to the hotel's power supply. That means that whoever's running the game snuck into the Beach and controls its power from underground."

"What the hell are you saying?"

"I think you know who the witch is. That it's someone close to you."

"You saying you think I'm the witch? Sorry, but you're wrong."

"Only executive members have information on how the power grid operates. I also know that only the executives have the key to access the underground. And I'll kill all the executives to get that key, starting with you."

"Sorry, but I can't let you do that. I've got plans."

"Uh-huh."

Chishiya tan at Niragi, throwing all of the cards up into the air. While he was distracted, Chishiya shot something out of a... water gun? It was a water gun filled with gasoline, a lighter on the end. He lit Niragi on fire, and Niragi fell right off the roof.

"Holy shit, Chishiya," Hana said, "Are you avtuslly gonna kill them all?"

Chishiya shrugged.