~Chapter eight: A new kind of training~ (Jenny)

The Fury had watched me cautiously as I approached, stepping into the cove. Spark followed right behind me, immediately greeting the black dragon with a small grumble from his throat. The fury responded with a small sound of his own. I smiled, and with one lingering glance to the Night Fury, I walked further into the cove and propped myself up on a tall rock. I watched as slowly, the fury got comfortable with Spark, and soon found myself chuckling as the two of them bounded around the cove, tackling each other, almost like they were playing tag.

"Uh, h-hey!" my eyes moved over to the entrance of the cove, where Hiccup stood, struggling with some sort of leather contraption on his arm. "You uh...you came."

I raised a brow, sliding off the rock. "Did you think I wouldn't?"

As though realizing he said something wrong, his eyes went wide and he stumbled along with his words. "I- uh, no. No of course, I knew you'd come–"

"Don't strain yourself," I laughed. "What's that?" I gestured to the leather binding around his shoulder, and he plopped it down on the grass between us.

"Well, you know, I figured that if I was going to ride him, I was going to need something to hold on." he shrugged, and nodded to the leather. "So I made a saddle."

"With ropes, and metal?" I asked, already becoming slightly wary of his methods.

"You'll see," Hiccup managed a smile, despite his nervousness. "Uh, so anyway–"

"Shall we get started?" I turned around and put my hand in the air, gesturing to Spark with my middle and index finger. Immediately, Spark got off of the night fury, and sauntered over to me.

"First things first," I began, running my fingers along his neck and down his scaly back. "You need a well established bond with your dragon." I moved along his tail, and then down to the other side of him. "You must know your dragon. Think of him as a friend, not a pet. Dragons are sensitive creatures, and most have a mind of their own. Your job, is to become one mind, one strength." As I finished, I scratched under Sparks chin and turned to face Hiccup. "Why don't we start with a name."

"Toothless." Hiccup answered immediately. At my bewildered look, he clarified. "He has retractable teeth."

After processing his words, I shook out of my trance and nodded. "Creative. I like it." I smiled a bit. "Why don't you try calling him to you?"

"Peace of mutton." He said cockily, waving her off dismissively as he waltz a few steps forward towards Toothless

As she had done with Spark, he waved him over with his two fingers swirling in the air. Toothless looked at him, then began scratching behind his ear. I glanced at him, and he chuckled a bit, then made the same movement, three times, with no response from his dragon. He took a few steps forward and picked up the saddle, and began making his way over to Toothless. I leaned against Spark, crossing my feet. This could take a while.

"Toothless, no!" Hiccup bounded after the playful Toothless, who somehow managed a human sounding laugh at him. I surpassed my laughs, except for a few chuckles here and there that I passed off as a cough.

************************************************************************

By the next day, Toothless and Hiccup were zooming over the lake when I arrived. For a moment, I was surprised, and quite impressed, until the tail broke free that moment, sending Hiccup flying to the other end of the pond. I ran around to the other side and helped him to his feet and out of the water.

"I mean...you were doing good before that little face plant." I shrugged.

"Ha. ha. Ha." Hiccup rolled his eyes. "You're a real comedic Jenny."