~Chapter twelve: trust in your dragon~ (Jenny)

I bashed against every wall I could, chained by my wrists to the middle of the small chamber I was kept in. The guard had left over an hour ago, yet I still had no way out. If I didn't escape soon, Spark would become anxious, and possibly do something that would get us both chained up.

Falling the floor, breathing heavily, I felt exhausted beyond belief. My lungs felt as though they'd fall apart at any moment from the screaming I had done. The Chief had claimed not long ago that he'd 'deal with me later'. What that meant for me, I wasn't sure. I could only hope that Hiccup would be here soon. And If not, he'd make sure Spark would be okay.

"Jenny!"

My head snapped up at the sound of Hiccup's voice, and just a few moments later, he appeared in front of the jail cell, clinging to the bars with his free hand, the other opening the lock with a brass key. I jumped up, as he came in, turning so he could get to my wrists, bound behind back. I closed my eyes, listening for the click, and when it came, I whipped around, throwing my hands around Hiccup's neck, pulling him into a hug.

"Where is Toothless?" I asked the moment I pulled away, desperation in my voice.

Hiccup looked down, shaking his head. "My father...he's gone to find the nest..."

I felt my eyes go wide as I shook my head. "No, no...he'll be killed. They'll all be killed..."

Hiccup shook his head, turning away, and for a moment, I thought he'd leave. But then he whipped around, his hands clenched into fists. "Why couldn't I have killed that dragon when I found him in the woods? It would have been better for everyone."

"I don't believe that." I narrowed my eyes at him. "I don't believe that for one minute. Look at how happy you are with Toothless! How could you say-"

"I should have just killed him, Jenny!" he shouted, cutting me off. "I could have saved my dad, the village, and even him from all this! If I had just killed him when I had the chance..."

I didn't say anything for a while. Until finally, he looked away, and I continued staring at him, placing my hands on my hips. "So why didn't you?" I asked fiercely. shook his head in response, so I repeated the question. "Why didn't you? If you honestly think it would have been so much better, why didn't you just kill him?"

"I don't know. I couldn't." he shrugged, making me roll my eyes in annoyance.

"That's not an answer."

"Why is this so important to you all of a sudden?" he finally met my eyes, annoyance clear across his features.

"Because I want to remember what you say right now." I declared. "I want to remember until the day that I die. Because if you genuinely think it would have been better, then you should know exactly why you didn't-"

"Oh for the love of- I was a coward!" he snapped. Finally, "I was weak. I wouldn't kill a dragon."

"You said 'wouldn't' that time." I smirked.

"Whatever!" he threw his hands up, beginning to pace. "I wouldn't! Three hundred years and I'm the first Viking who wouldn't kill a dragon!"

I didn't say anything for a minute, causing for his shoulders to drop as her averted his eyes away from me again. I wasn't about to let him just give up on Toothless. Not after everything they've been through. Not after everything we've been through.

"First to actually try and give them a chance, though." Hiccup blinked. Finally, I broke down a few rocks and got into that thick skull of his. "So..."

"...I wouldn't kill him because he looked as frightened as I was." he paused, shaking his head. "I looked at him and I saw myself."