~Epilogue~ (Jenny)

The next few weeks that followed were long and brutal. Chief Stoick- to many's anger and disappointment, didn't have me killed or forced off the Island. Instead, he made a treaty to allow me as a member of Berk for as long as I wanted, or, at least until someone demanded otherwise. This temporary treaty allowed for me to visit Hiccup everyday, and work with the village elder -Gothi- to heal his wounds and keep him healthy until we woke up. Toothless stayed with me for the time being, which Spark was more than happy about.

As for Berk, things seemed to change a lot. While I still got lingering glances of suspicion, the villagers allowed me to help them bond with their dragons- who were now welcome on Berk. After about two weeks of hard work, Berk was transformed into a Dragon safe Island, with feeding troughs installed to each home, and a dragon stables currently being designed and prepared for.

Another thing that's changed since the fall of the red death were the teens of Berk. Spark and I both were still getting used to being around more people than usual, but Astrid had made things much easier, helping the two of us to adjust, while I helped her to adjust to the back of a dragon.

Any sort of break for myself or Astrid seemed impossible, and sleep seemed to become further and further apart, as we were in charge of training and designing, and of course, clearing the boulders and brush for the stables. Whenever I could take a moment away, I'd be at the smithy, helping Gobber with the work Hiccup would do, and of course, working on his surprise for when he woke up.

"Hey Gobber," I greeted, alerting him to my presence before stepping up behind him. "How's it coming?"

"See for yourself, lass," he beamed, and with his regular hand, he held the object up, displaying his impressive craftsmanship. "Finished it just last night."

"It's perfect," I smiled, running my hand along it. "Now....he just has to wake up to use it..." My smile dropped, setting one hand down on the workstation.

"Don't you say that, Jenny." Gobber scolded. "He'll be fine. It was just a nasty injury. After all, I survived."

"I know, I know..." I sighed, shaking my head. "You're right. I just..."

"Hey look! It's Hiccup!"

I lifted my head up, just as a large group of Vikings began running towards the Haddock home. My eyes met Gobbers, and no less than a moment later, Astrid came running in, panting.

"Jenny!" she breathed out. "Jenny, he's awake!"

************************************************************************

The crowds gathered around the Haddock hut confirmed what Astrid had told us. Everyone had stopped their work for the time being, but that made complete sense. Hiccup stared out at the scene in front of him, his eyes wide and jaw hung open with a mix of confusion and awe. Given his state, he had no clue that I was here, or that his tribe had made peace with the thing they've been fighting for over 300 years, he must have been pretty overwhelmed.

Unable to fight down my curiosity, I looked down toward Hiccup's foot, my breath hitching once I caught sight of it. What had once been flesh was replaced with a wooden base, tied against Hiccup's leg to keep the metal replacement for a foot in place. When he put weight onto it, the rectangular metal piece moved down toward the actual foot part, allowing it to function, almost like an actual limn. It suited him pretty well, actually, but it would definitely take some getting used to.

"Turns out all we needed was a little more of this." Chief Stoick waved his arm in Hiccup's direction.

"You just gestured to all of me..." a little smile crossed his face, and I felt a surge of warm in my chest at the new meaning of those words.

"Well. Most of you." Gobber pushed through the crowd, beaming proudly. "That bit's my and Jenny's handiwork. With a little Hiccup flare thrown in. Think it'll do?"

"I might make a few tweaks." Hiccup shrugged, causing the crowd to laugh. The smile on his face disappeared, replaced with a bit of confusion. "Wait...Jenny?"

I smirked and made my way through the crowd, standing behind Hiccup. Going with my instincts, I punched him in the shoulder, causing him to whip around, recoiling with a grumble.

"That's for scaring me." I snapped, as his surprise turned into a glare.

"What, is it always going to be this way? Cause I-"

Before he could finish his sentence, I reached forward, grabbing a fistful of his tunic so I could pull him close to me and press my lips against his. The gesture was merely friendly, something I did to shut him up or he'd go off on a rant of how he couldn't handle me.

"...could get used to it." Hiccup shrugged, clearly fighting down a dumbfounded dorky smile that I've come to love.

Breaking us apart, Gobber pushed forward again, presenting Hiccup with the rebuilt saddle, rigging, and tail. "Welcome home."

Suddenly, Toothless pounced on and over the crowd, crushing several unsuspecting Vikings under his weight. "Night Fury, get down!"

Toothless eyed the new tail excitedly, tongue wagging, amidst the groans and grumbles, Hiccup and I exchanged a sheepish grin. Finally, I was able to actually take a break, and as Hiccup set Toothless' tail fin and saddle into place, I climbed up onto Spark. He then snapped his prosthetic foot into place. It fit perfectly.

"Care to join me?" he asked, gesturing to the sky.

I smirked, patting Spark's side. "How could we say no?"

This... is Berk. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three. Any food that grows here is tough and tasteless. The people that grow here are even more so. The only upsides are the pets. While other places have...ponies or parrots, we have... Dragons!