~Chapter ten: the dragons nest~ (Jenny)

A Gronckle hovered above the ring, hunting victims as the teen recruits scramble. All of Berk looked completely different. Or at least, the ring did. I had normally been one of the only ones sitting in the stands. Now, almost the whole village joined me. It had been easy to sneak in. Staying off radar on the other hand, was much more of a challenge.

Astrid seemed to be doing the best, jumping behind the barriers, her ax held close. She darted off, closing in fast on the Gronkel. The crowd above cheered her on. All except me, that is.

"You got it Astrid!"

I felt my stomach turn as I saw Hiccup stand and look around. Amidst the crowd of onlookers, the chief watches keenly, beaming with pride. He locks eyes with Hiccup, giving him a nod of encouragement. Hiccup adjusts his helmet and forces a half-hearted smile. I closed my eyes tightly and clenched my fists as, unbeknownst to Hiccup, the Gronckle spots him and makes a bee-line toward him.

Suddenly, the crowd went silent, and I couldn't bear to open my eyes. Finally, after a moment, I did, only to see that Hiccup had laid the Gronckle out, most-likely using the weak-spot trick. I felt joy for only a moment, before realizing what this would mean for Hiccup.

"No!" Astrid yelled in frustration. "No! Son of a half-troll rat eating-"

I grimaced at her screams of annoyance, before spotting Hiccup, looking just as upset as she was. A loud clack rung out. From the crowd above, the village elder stepped forward, tapping her staff. Everyone lit up excitedly, waiting for her decision.

"Wait! Wait!" the chief held his hands out to silence the crowd. I shrunk down as I watched Gobber snag Hiccup as he attempted to leave. "Okay, quiet down. The elder has decided."

Thrilled, Gobber stood behind Hiccup and Astrid. My eyes met Hiccup's, only to see pure panic. Gobber pointed down to Astrid as the crowd waited in silent anticipation. The elder shakes her head 'no.' I closed my eyes, listening to the crowd 'Oooohs.' Gobber then pointed to Hiccup, though the answer was already clear. The elder nods an affirmative 'yes' causing the crowd to erupt in cheers. Astrid turns a seething, deadly glare on Hiccup.

"You've done it! You've done it," Gobber cheered "Hiccup! You get to kill the dragon!"

Unable to stay any longer, due to the cheering and excited crowd, I was pushed towards the stairs, and with as little as attention drawn to myself as I could manage, I snuck out of the village of Berk.

************************************************************************

I ran as fast as I could to the cove pushing past branches and sliding down slopes. I balanced my way across a fallen tree, before climbing up the rest of my way and ducking under Hiccup's abandoned shield. The moment I took a second to look around the cove, I saw Toothless, wrestling with small terrible terror. Breathing heavily, I fell to the ground, resting my head in my hands. This was a mess. I had no idea what Hiccup's plan was, but I was going to be there for him through it.

Just as I opened my eyes, I heard a voice, causing me to snap my head to Hiccup, who was making his way around a large boulder, a basket perched on his back.

"We're leaving!" My head shot up, spotting Hiccup's figure. "Let's pack up. Looks like you and I are taking a little vacation... forever." Hiccup set down his basket and opened it up, his head seeming so clouded with thoughts that he didn't even notice I was right behind him. "We gotta leave before Jenny–"

"Before I what?" I asked, glaring. Hiccup whipped around just as I slid off the rock and back him up slightly. His eyes darted around nervously, searching for Toothless.

"Before you what? I uh.." I walked forward until his back was against another large boulder, my cheeks turning as red as my hair in fury.

"Leaving without saying goodbye now, huh?" I asked, then turned away as I clenched my fists. "Just as I started to think we were–" I stopped myself, refusing to say 'Friends', then shook my head. "Just...never mind."