Come Fly With Me

It was approximately four years after the gaudy birth of Easyjet when they were presented with huge opportunity. In that first four years, easyJet was considered as financially viable and was given an Air Operating Certificate. They had swelled in size considerably and had begun to take control of other airlines, purchasing all or part of them at bargain prices. They were then presented with the opportunity to become a media sensation when producers approached them about filming a new television series called Airline. The producers wanted to provide the public with an in-depth fly on the wall documentary behind Britain's newest and fastest growing airline. The passenger figures had been booming for easyJet and were rolling well into the millions with the demand for more seats increasing everyday.

It was a hugely successful program attracting a peak of over 10 million viewers because it offered a intimate peek into the daily runnings of EasyJet from the check in desk (that always seemed to have angry passengers from what I remember) to the well-oiled regime onboard the fleet of orange aircraft. Sir Stelios quite often made an appearance throughout the series, usually on a plane, much to the annoyance of his onboard staff who were focussed on trying depart on time but instead had to deal with Stelios appearing out of the blue to do a quick spot of filming on the first plane he could find.

It was an excellent program providing evidence to the Great British public some of the pure stupidity of some passengers as well as the antics of the brainwashed orange Check-In desk girls (A bit like that Maltesers advert where they use a queue line as a skipping rope). Many of you could probably relate to this yourselves and will have had your own errors and if I'm quite honest, it can happen to the best of us. Needless to say, it was a very entertaining program that gave us great hilarity at such mishaps and calamities as well as many showings of the good old British tantrums about their rights. The thing is, that show was more than just comedy gold...this was a foot in the door for the nation's beloved orange airline.

easyJet was about to become a pioneer of its time and all those polished airlines would suddenly feel intimidated by the sheer radiance. The airline was inspiring the world to fly orange which then sparked an all out price war. easyJet was breaking records on a regular basis and kept that original buzz and excitement with all of its new staff and the ever-growing amount of passengers.

The airline today has reached landmark records with over 10,000 staff employed and well over 250 aircraft. They lead the aviation market in fleet efficiency, carbon offsetting and passengers travelling every year. Every single person who work for the airline are proud to call it their home and have each made their own successful contributions to easyJet and will continue to do so for generations to come.

Ok, I'm actually writing this in the middle of a flight back from Budapest with EasyJet to the good old British Land (I might just point out that I'm travelling as a passenger, I'm not texting from the trolley as crew), I'm just starting my descent so I think I'll leave it there. I'm also finished with the history side now too, it's time for some memories and experiences next. All of these experiences and memories are entirely true and have been collated from many of the crew who proudly work together in the now wonderfully strong airline.

See you on the ground!