Chapter 2: Home or Hospice

Outside her closet bathroom, the demons had gone closer to the storage room door in her absence. Noses, from non-existent to human, to long and snout like, sniffed around the corners, only to scatter like birds as she stomped through them. The big one, however, just backed up and gave her another flash of its shark-like teeth.

She closed the door in its face.

Her attention turned back to her patient. Mimi made sure the man was tucked in before stepping back and taking a closer look at the rest of him. He seemed strong, or at least stronger than her brother's or stepdad. Thick arms, wide shoulders, and just overall lack of 'soft' to him, with muscles. Maybe she shouldn't have dragged him into her house....no, the guy was dying, and it wasn't like he could kidnap her with a scoop out of his gut.

...What if he died in her house?

A chill ran up her spine. She'd only ever seen dead animals before. She'd never had to deal with a dead body.

No, no, she could handle it. She scared off demons that no one else could see every day, what could a dead body do to her?

But what if someone came looking for him? What if the detectives found his corpse (once she somehow survived dealing with a dead body) and traced it back to her hole in the ground and threw her in jail?!

Wait, that actually might not be so bad. Juvy would have food and heating, right? She'd nearly died that winter—

NO! Juvy was bad! Kids who went to juvy almost always ended up in jail when they were adults! Right? And nobody wants to deal with a kid who went to juvy! Especially not her mom!

The man didn't wake up. Mimi ate the last of the past-expired bread and soft apples in her 'storage' (the only tote with a fitting lid). She read some more of a library book on the history of heart surgery (people sticking wires through their own veins and straight into their hearts was so cool). She bounced a tennis ball she'd found in a park against the back wall. She cracked the door open to listen to the rain on the cement outside but quickly closed it again when she saw the devils had just multiplied. Seeing so many made her stomach feel weird and her chest tight.

"You must have some pretty tasty pain, mister," she said to the unconscious man. And done a lot of bad things, she thought.

She looked at the man again, looking for signs of just what kind of 'bad' he was. There were the usual pedophiles, thieves, and whores, but the unpredictable ones were druggies. Druggies tended to have eye bags, sad skin, and scraggy hair. This man, though, despite the fact he was bleeding out the middle, had well trimmed black hair, eyebrows that could have been traced, and smooth clear skin—not so much as a single whisker! He had angular features, but they weren't the bony sharpness of drug-addicts.

Mimi lifted his hands to look at his nails. She remembered some of them having yellowed fingertips. But his nails looked nice enough to be on a girl. Soft hands, they were, with only light callusing. Warm too.

"If you're looking for jewelry, I'm sure they already took that."

She jumped with a squeak and dropped the hand.

Two black eyes looked at her from the well-groomed face. 

________________________________________________

Please leave a star, like, or comment.  It helps me and the story. Or not. I can always be left crying inside like an emo in the closet. With two kids thumping on the door going 'MOM! We're hungry!' Even though I already fed them.