Chapter 56: You Can Never Go Home

Behind her, Juli grunted as he pulled up the stairs. She could hear the chink of gears and an almost silent motor helping him. Weakling.

"Um..." For a moment, her mind spun in circles, stirred with the bitter spoon of demons and the lives of her mother and brother.

But, thing was, if there was a demon she was least uncomfortable around, it would be stealy demons. Not only were they better than the other demons at hiding so she didn't have to look at them, she'd never really been hurt too much by people stealing from her—ignoring her step-brother's taking her survival kit. But that had just been a toy. It hadn't been orange-flavored, pee-scented, or blood stained. Even if Juli or his dad were to steal one of her toys it wouldn't be that bad. Toys came and went. Stuff came and went.

So it was easy to step into the dim den of whirring fans and blue computer screens even with the knowledge that demons hid in every nook and cranny about her. It was still strange to her, even as she took even more comfort from Juli's Dad's familiar smile. He looked like an older, brown-haired, less zitty version of his son, though he had those pitted, red scars that came from bad acne in his younger years. He wore a band shirt, jeans, and classic black Converse sneakers. It was hard to seem him as a 'Dad.' He seemed more like an older brother or a dorky uncle.

"Oh, crap, where are my manners." Mr. Cromwell hooked the only other computer chair with his food and rolled it over to her. "Take a seat. Get comfortable. My casa is your casa."

"This entire house is more hers than yours," said Juli wryly. After handing his dad a capped mug of coffee, Juli leaned against one of the tables full of hardware. "She's got some questions about the names you gave me." He took a sip of his own thermos.

Mr. Cromwell's eyebrows went up. "Oh?"

Mimi nodded. "Yeah, um," No 'um's. Duke had told her to avoid it, as it made you sound less confident—poor speaking or something like that. "What are you doing with my mom and brother's names?"

Mr. Cromwell winced.

Mimi's stomach clenched in turn.

"Oh, jee, um...well, I don't know if the boss would like me telling you, Little Miss, but it's in your best interest, I'm sure."

Mimi frowned. "How can messing with my little brother's life do anything for me?"

"Whoa, who said anything about that? Juli's just gathering his information right now, aren't you son?"

"Yep," said Juli with a pop of his lips.

"But why?"

"Girly, having leverage on someone is never a bad thing."

"But he's just a kid! And what about my mom? What could Mom possibly do to Duke?"

"Nothing, I know, but, look, you'll just have to ask your dad." He leaned forward with a creak of his...actually, quite fancy computer chair. It looked like it had speakers connected to it and enough cushions to house a passenger in cold sleep for an multi-light year space flight. "Want to see something cool? I got games with graphics that would blow your mind."

"Oh! Show her Cold Space."

"I am not showing a cute little girl Cold Space."

"Dad, Mimi is not a cute little girl, she loves gore. Have you heard about what she reads? For fun?"

"I need to know," said Mimi.

"About what?" asked Cromwell.

"My mom and my brother. Tell me right now."