Chapter 48: Tongue and Toy Store

When Serena's uterus allowed her to come back to work three days after the event, she was immediately summoned to Duke's office, as she knew she would be. Dread, nauseating and chilling, held back on her spine, as though to try and stop her, as she climbed the stairs and made her way down to that dark, mahogany door. Two of Omen's men greeted her with stiff nods, one more than usual. They both looked worse for wear, with deep shadows beneath their eyes and swelling bruises along their jaws or cheek.

She knocked. "Serena here, sir."

"Come in."

Her hand was sweaty on the handle.

Despite the tension of the guards, as well as Omen stationed on the other side, her boss lounged in his large office chair, Mimi's messy ponytail peeking out from over his shoulder. He swiveled around slowly to reveal a dosing Mimi in his lap, her head tucked under his chin.

For the briefest of breaths, Serena felt a spike of jealousy. Mimi hadn't so much as hug her.

She was broken from her habitual categorizing of Mimi's status—clothes were clean, face clean, but her hair could have been done better, arm bandages clean—by Duke clearing his throat.

"Closer." He kept his voice low murmur, so as to not disturbed the girl in his arms. It still made the still office air tremble.

Serena did so, albeit reluctantly. He only gave her the raised hand to stop when she was on the other side of his desk that was large enough to be a dining table if it wanted to be. Excellent for spontaneous meetings—or laying a body out.

"First, relax. I'm not angry at you."

Serena did so, though only minutely. His mouth tightened into that mockery of a smile that everyone who wasn't Mimi got.

"Yes. We still do have some decisions to make."

The faintest click and hum of the A/C turning on broke the heavy air.

"Mimi likes you. That's why I've left you on as her nanny of sorts even though your qualifications are lacking. You've also done well helping her remember how to play, for which I'm grateful. Having people she can trust is important."

Serena clenched her hands in front of her, anticipating the 'but.'

"I'd like to keep it that way. But," there it was. "That womb of yours is a liability. If it weren't for that, the insider wouldn't have found an opening so easily. I'd perhaps feel guilty telling you this if you were married and anticipating a bundle of spawn, but I was under the impression you didn't even like children or commitment, for that matter."

Serena manages a wry smile. "You would be correct, sir. Nor do I like that stupid organ myself. I was just waiting till I was older to have it removed, but the latest happenings...I think I'll push it up."

"Ah, then you've already answered my main question. Do you need Monty to set up the details or...?"

"I can do it myself, sir. I already have an appointment this Friday."

"If only the rest of the louse I have to deal with were half as efficient. Let me know as soon as possible how long you'll need for recovery."

Serena bowed her head. "I will. Thank you, sir."

"Which leads me to the second thing." Duke adjusted Mimi ever so slightly on his lap so he could pass a small pamphlet of stapled pages to her.

Serena picked them up with consternation, only to find herself confused after the first few points.

Be aware of when Miriana searches the area about a person, especially around their shoulders. Watch her expressions when she does so, and if she seems uncomfortable, swiftly rid the area of said person. The only exception to this is Duke Cosack.