Chapter 31: Popcorn and Trauma

Mimi didn't know what to expect when she woke up not remembering how she'd ended up tucked in bed like the filling of a taquito. She wriggled out, rubbed salt crystals off her eyelashes, and felt her stomach ball up. She'd spilled the beans. Dropped the ball. Squealed.

That last person who should know now knew.

The door clicked open. She hiccupped.

But it was only Serena with a tray of warm breakfast.

"You okay, chit?"

Mimi looked down, prickling with unease. She didn't know what to say. She didn't know where to go to stop the feeling that the world was going to cave in on her with white-gray walls and orange flavored loneliness.

Serena put the tray on the nightstand and held Mimi's face up so she could get a good look, thick lips pouted.

"Your eyes are all swollen." She tittered. "A cold rag should fix that. Are you still feeling upset from last night?"

And because truth had become a habit, Mimi nodded.

"Don't be. No one is upset, everyone who is of import is safe, and I brought strawberry crepes for breakfast, your favorite." But she didn't let go of Mimi's face, watching her eyes carefully as though she could read the very thoughts crossing the little girl's mind. "You do know you're a princess here, right?"

Mimi twisted up her face. No. No she wasn't.

But there were no demons on Serena's shoulder. Nor did any flitter in the corners of her room.

Serena sighed and finally let go of her. "Yeah, I know, trust doesn't happen that easily. But it's been a month. I had hoped you'd have gotten at least a little comfortable."

She put the tray of beautiful, strawberry filled, whip-cream-decorated crepes onto Mimi's lap. The whole breakfast was complete with strawberries cut into flowers, a tiny bowl of porridge, two strips of bacon, and a glass of whole milk.

"How about a day off from school? We can continue where we left off with Rose and Marmalade. You don't have to leave the room until you feel like it."

Mimi stared at the prettily cut strawberries. Then, she gave a little nod, and reached out to slip the first strawberry into her mouth.

Serena gave a stiff grin of satisfaction and went to the closet to pick out Mimi's clothes for the day. It was something Mimi allowed only because she felt it somehow made Serena happy to let her dress her up like the dolls they played with. Happy adults made an easier life...or, maybe, it was okay to just like Serena.

After eating and dressing, Serena brushed her hair into a simple ponytail with a matching blue bow to go with her blue overalls. Then they got out the Barbies and went over where they had left off. Mimi couldn't make herself talk much. She moved her doll stiffly, but Serena worked with it, making a Marmalade centered side plot so Mimi could work the side characters and props instead.

They had done a plot twist by involving a Ken doll imbued with psychic powers when a soft knock came at the door. The boss stepped in, his black hair tied back into a tiny ponytail at the nape of his neck.

"Mimi," he said, softly, gently. "How are you feeling today?"

Mimi had subconsciously tensed up. She felt the crepes in her stomach protest at the sudden lack of space.

She didn't want to say.

"You got my report, sir?" Serena asked.

"Yes," his eyes hadn't left Mimi. "But I'd like to hear her myself."