Chapter 6: Taehyung II

As he walked out of the bar, Jungkook thought back to the way his best friend looked as if he had seen a freak when he left. He silently exhaled.

After he learned the truth, he really didn't look like himself — at this moment, he was actually so focused on going back that he forgot about that person, Taehyung, who should be undergoing surgery at the Institute at present.

He didn't know how the gland removal surgery went.

The gland removal procedure had actually been around for years, only the artificial gland would be slightly more special — but not harder to remove than the real gland. He had the Institute researching it for so many years in order for the technology to become more mature and ensure its absolute safety.

Although he had always been strict and indifferent, he had to admit that he was actually much more tolerant towards Taehyung than others.
Otherwise, just after the knot was formed, he would have the bond removed, even disregarding Taehyung's life and the laws of the Empire.

Jungkook recalled the phone call from the Institute during the morning meeting and the remainder from his beta secretary. He was unable to stop himself from picking up his mobile phone and dialling it.

No one answered the phone.

Furthermore, it was already 11 or 12 o'clock in the evening. The Empire's labour law stipulated that Al would automatically close the work contact conversation after working hours. He also never took down the personal phone numbers of any staff members of the Institute, not even bothering to save his beta secretary's.

He hesitated for a while, but still decided to go back to that house first.

He planned to talk to the Institute in the morning. He would request to put off the surgery for a bit, he may need to have a good talk with Taehyung about their relationship.

However, if he really went, it didn't matter. The bond removal surgery was more mature under the Institute's research. It would be nice to give each other a chance to start over.
When Jungkook returned to the house, he stood at the door when a strange feeling came over him.

It was as if... his heart sank a little, gradually dipping into the cold water.

That sense of foreboding slowed his movements to open the door as well.

"Pa." 

The light was automatically turned on under the operation of Al. The whole house didn't have much furniture, which made the house look empty, and further highlighted the owner's sense of loneliness.

What assailed his nostrils was not the warm, incense fragrance the man was accustomed to, but a strong smell of disinfectant.

It was as if someone had just done a general cleaning these two days.

Jungkook had a hunch that it was that person, after all, that person loved cleanliness.Nonetheless, it always felt strange somewhere.

His premonition was always accurate, and this hunch pushed him forward.

-Until he walked to the door of Taehyung's room.

He had never been so cautious in this house, as that person would always be there. He hadn't even looked at the house very much before that person moved in. Therefore, this was the first time he set foot here in Taehyung's absence.

Of course, he never came to Taehyung's room either.

They went to bed in another, larger room, right next to the study- so he could wake up the next day and go straight to the study to work. He would always be preoccupied with it and didn't like being distracted. Even if Taehyung was still resting in bed, he would also wake him up with an unpleasant look on his face.

Over time, Taehyung silently moved his things to another room. He would also roll out of bed and go prepare breakfast just before he frowned and got up.

As he observed it all in, he just thought that Taehyung was tactful, but that was about it.

Taehyung's room wasn't big, but full of character. He got a cartoon-patterned bed sheet from somewhere, the whole room decorated in warm tones, quite in contrast with the black and white ash neutral tones he was fond of.

There was a computer on Taehyung's desk. It was still dimly lit- the owner just turned off the electronic screen- but did not completely shut it down.

He stepped forward with curiosity that came from nowhere. His eyes were quickly drawn to another object on the desk.

It was a... a wooden photo frame. It looked like something unique to Ancient Earth. In fact, much of the furniture in Taehyung's room seemed to have been bought from the Ancient Earth's market, which was probably the origin of his room's unique character.

There were two people in the frame.

He and... Taehyung.

The two of them had never taken a photo together. This one seemed to have been carefully cut out of a large group photo and then put together.

In the photo, he looked extremely young but still unsmiling. He swiftly glanced at himself and noticed that the clothes he was wearing at the time were the suit he wore at the graduation party ten years ago.

And that person.

The past and current Taehyung were extremely different. Although they also had an omega artificial gland in the past, he still had full of energy and had the confidence and strength of an alpha - as for now, he was now thinner and smiled less, even when he did smile, it carried a far-fetched edge that made him feel weary.

Looking at the photo, Jungkook recalled that in high school, the man entered his life like a whirlwind, completely disregarding the eyes of others, so out of place among the self-disciplined noble children of Imperial High School, yet especially memorable and unforgettable.

Unconsciously, there was nostalgia in his eyes, and he gently put the photo frame back in place.