I am someone else

'It...it is very hard, you see, to understand...to accept it.' Elain's voice was barely above a whisper as she spoke.

 Rayna could sense her fear, her terror like she knew for sure the fae could as well. It was a cold blade stabbing her, breaking another piece of her. She had to force herself not to cringe at Elain's words, at the terror coating them.

     'We were raised this way. We hear stories of your kind crossing the wall to hurt us.' She went on, obvious to Rayna's feelings.

 She remembered her days before the mortal realm, her back itched, the scars staining her skin would never allow her to forget. Nesta's eyes flew to her for a moment and Rayna knew she could see past her walls. She opened her mouth to say something, but Azriel beat her to it.

       'I can imagine.' He forged his voice to be as soft and kind as he could manage.

 Elain relaxed a bit, even tried to smile at Azriel, but he wasn't paying her any attention. He was watching Rayna.

       'Can we just...start over?' Feyre asked unsure.

 Rayna gave Nesta a warning look.

       'Fine.' She spoke, her voice still cold.

 After a few moments of silence. Feeling eyes on her, Rayna turned her attention to Azriel, who was already watching her.

      'Can you truly fly?' Elain interrupted their staring contest.

 Both Cassian and Azriel seemed taken aback by the question, not expecting it.

     'Yes, Cassian and I hail from a race of faeries called illyrians. We're born hearing the song of the wind.' He answered.

  Rayna picked up her glass and took a sip.

      'Ah, yes, the perfect illusion of freedom. Is it nice though? The feeling of freedom, however short lived?' She asked, her brown eyes sparkling with something Azriel couldn't name. How does freedom feel like? The unspoken question seemed to be. Nobody heard it though.

  He who had been in a cage valued every single moment he spent in the air. The wind ruffling his hair, biting his skin.

     'Flying is everything for an illyrian.' Cassian asnwered.

    'It must be maddening.' Ryana picked up her glass, starring at it as she spoke to no one in particular.

  Nesta frowned, not sure where her friend was going with this.

   'What do you meant?'

 Both Cassian and Rhysand turned their heads surprised to watch Azriel as he willingly made conversation and seemed genuinely interested in what the mortal had to say. He frowned as he leaned on the table.

  He didn't understand. How could it be maddening when it was pure freedom, a reminder to himself that he got out of the cage. Maybe a mortal who never heard the song of the wind could not understand.

  Rayna put her glass down and raised her head to meet his eyes.

   'I believe...' She took a moment to choose her words. 'I believe it must be maddening for one to have true freedom or to believe they have it.'

  'Why would it be maddening?' He frowned.

 Rayna lowered her gaze to her uneaten plate, picking up a fork. A sad smile appeared on her lips.