Breakfast

Azriel was in the dark forest again. Rain was pouring heavily, making his clothes stick to his skin uncomfortably.

   'You can not hide from me!' A voice shouted and he knew the warning was for him.

 Against his will his legs started moving as he ran through the forest. Pure terror awakened inside him as if his very soul knew the owner of the voice, even though he had never seen him. He couldn't see clear where was he headed, the storm stronger than before. Running blindly his leg stumbles upon a rock. He throws his hands forward to protect his head and wings from the fall as he hits the ground. Breathing heavily he is about to turn around, ready to get up and continue running when he feels and something grabbing him by his arm.

     'Hello, little shadow.'

  Azriel hears himself screaming.

     'Rise and shine, brother!'

 Azriel groans as he opens his eyes only to close them again, blinded by the light. It was the same dream again. He had just assumed it had been a memory of his past he couldn't or refused to remember for the man had called him little shadow.

    'Where is Rhys?' He asked.

 Cassian rolled his eyes, putting his armor blades on.

    'Good morning, Cas. So nice of you to wake me up.' He mimicked Azriel's voice to the best abilities. 'He is outside with Feyre, practicing while we are expected for breakfast.' He added after seeing Azriel's unimpressed face.

 They both got dressed in silence before heading downstairs.

  He didn't expect to see anyone awake that early, he was sure they would have to wait at least an hour for the three human women to get up so they could have breakfast.

     'Didn't know in Prythian they dress up in armor for breakfast.'

 Surprised, the two turned around only to find Rayna placing plates on the table. Azriel cursed himself for thinking so little of mortals once more. He should have payed attention, he should have been able to hear her being there.

   'Depends on the breakfast.' Cassian responded.

  She spun around to grab more plates, making a pile in her arms. Azriel watched her move, there was a grace to it, a strength, maybe she was a dancer like Feyre told them Nesta had been. Maybe that was how they knew each other. Even though her hair was down, he could see the little untied braids hidden between strands. Unlike the day before, now, her clothes were clean. She was wearing a simple dark green dress with silver patterns along her sleeves and waist. The color matched her eyes, he noticed, which were the greenest shade he had ever seen.

    'Yes, indeed, that butter knife looks so dangerous. Careful, I might just carve your eyes out with it.' She responded, a smile appearing on her face as she looked at the tiny unsharpened blade.

  Cassian's head fell back as he laughed for the first time since they arrived the day before. Even Azriel couldn't hide his smile at her remark. The General seemed to stop and think for a moment. Then he slowly made his way towards the woman, his wings tucked painfully tight behind him, giving her time to stop him or walk away. She did not, only watched him with a curious look in her eyes. He stop right in front of her and with ease took the pile of plates that almost blocked her line of view from her arms. And went to place them on the table himself. If she was surprised, she hid it well. Azriel studied her face. She was beautiful he had to admit.

    'Good morning, Nesta. Elain.' She greeted loudly.

 The two males had heard them coming down the stairs of course, but they still turned and nodded their heads politely.

   'Good morning.' Elain's voice small from behind her sister, her scent still full of fear.

 Nesta said nothing. They went to sit at their usual places, the way they had the night before.

    'Feyre?' Nesta demanded.

 Azriel's eyes snapped to Cassian who already had a feral smile on his face.

   'Oh, so now you care about where she is.' He attacked.

 Azriel subtly moved between the two, silently signalizing Cassian to stop. He did not need another argument. Nesta snarled at him, ready to bite back.

   'Where is the letter?' 

 Their attention shifted to Rayna. The woman looked at the two males for an answer, her expression calm. The calm before the storm as he would call it.

  Azriel stepped forwards taking the envelope out of his pocket. Rayna extended her hand forward.

   'I am going to the seaport  today since I have something to take care of there so I shall take it.' She looked between the two. 'I assume one or both of you will accompany me?'

  Azriel hesitated. He looked into her eyes and found no lies, no hidden reasons, no reason of doubt and his hidden shadows spoke of there being none also. He handed her the envelope. His fingers brushed past her. He almost looked away, as his heart clenched for a second, not wishing to see her flinch at his scarred hands. She did not. She paid them no attention as if they looked like everyone else's. Something warmed in his chest.

   'I will accompany you.' He offered before really thinking about it.

 Cassian turned to him confused. They had agreed for t to be him. But then the General looked at his brother's face and then Rayna's, a knowing grin appearing on his face. Just when he was about to comment on it a screamed broke through the quite morning.