morning

Nesta entered the mansion at eight in the morning. She took off her coat and with sure steps made her way towards Rayna's bedroom only to find it empty. With a frown on her face she walked back down the stairs and started searching for her. She was sure her friend had left, ready to only check one more room. Nesta froze in place.

  On the sofa in the library laid Rayna, deeply asleep. There was no frown on her face for once, no trace of nightmares. Azriel's head rested on her abdomen, the rest of his body on the floor. His wings were lazily laying on the floor, spread wide. They both seemed so at peace for the first time in forever.

  And for that reason alone, the peaceful expression on Rayna's face, Nesta said nothing as she exited the room.

    'Good morning!' Elain's voice echoed through the almost empty manor.

 Nesta got to her quickly, telling her to be silent and then leading her into the kitchen. But it was too late.

  Azriel opened his eyes with a groan, moving to stretch his neck. Rayna's rose as well, pushing herself into a sitting position. Her eyes fell on him first, he couldn't even hide his shocked expression as he looked around the room then at her. It was as if he couldn't believe he had actually fallen asleep. Azriel cursed himself for wasting time... and yet the rest made him feel stronger, surprisingly haunted by no nightmares for once.

   'The Queens have not replied yet.' She spoke first, her morning voice making him hold his breath for a moment.

 Azriel cursed himself again. The letter was the only reason he came and yet he did not ask about it once. Foolish he had been, distracted. He could not afford that. Muttering a goodbye he winnowed away.

°•▪︎♤▪︎•°

   'What was that?!' Nesta demanded as soon as Rayna entered the kitchen.

The redhead took a seat at the table, cutting a small piece of bread before taking a bite from it. Elain looked confused between the two, not really understanding what was happening.

   'Everything worked as planned.' Rayna replied.

 Nesta crossed her arms. Elain glanced at the two once more before raising from her chair. She did not want to be caught in the cross fire of whatever was going on.

   'I'll be in the garden.' With that she exited the room.

 Nesta took her chair, a look demanding answers on her face. Rayna rubbed her temples.

  'You know why it had to be me. If you or Elain had told him about there being no letter from the Queens he would have been able to tell your lies, hear your unsteady heartbeats. He is a Spymaster after all.' She explained.

 Nesta sighed, she knew that of course but that didn't mean she liked it. The Queens didn't respond to the High Lord's letter, but one of them did send Rayna one. And no one could find out about it.

    'If everything went well then why do you look so troubled?' Nesta asked, reaching over the table to place her hand over hers.

  Rayna leaned back on her chair, a conflicted look on her face.

   'I think he might be one of the good ones.' Her voice low as she replied, almost afraid to say the words out loud.

 Nesta squeezed her hand, the ice in her eyes melting for a second.

   'So are you.' She reassured her friend.

 Rayna shook her head. She would have liked to believe her, more than anything. But as she looked down at her now physically clean hands all she could see was blood. Stuck in a human body with features that weren't her own.

  'I am a lie.'

 She retreated her hand from Nesta's. She raised and walked out of the room, ignoring the pain in her leg. Even with her glamour it should still heal faster than a human's wound would. As she passed the small table in the hallway she frowned. She could have sworn she had left her book there.

°•▪︎♤▪︎•° 

    The next visit wasn't from Azriel, but from Cassian. Rayna had heard him before way before he made himself known. Even though he was wearing his leathers and looked the part of the scary Night Court's general, he kept his wings tucked tight behind him, forcing himself to look small, less in hopes of making the three women feel more at ease.

   'Good Morning!' He greeted, putting a smile on his face.

 Nesta looked him up and down.

   'Your letter isn't here.' Was all she said before rushing out of the room most likely to go search for Elain.

  Cassian raised a brow, his attention turning to the only person remaining in the kitchen with him.

   'Tea?' Rayna asked as she poured herself a cup. 'I know it tastes like horse shit to your kind, but it would be impolite to not offer.'

 Cassian crossed his arms, a playful look now in his eyes.

  'I didn't think you cared for manners or being polite after our last encounter.' He bit.

 Rayna stirred her tea, staring out of the window. She was wearing riding clothes again, he had probably arrived right when she was about to go out. He tried to smell if there was any more fear in her scent but he couldn't smell anything over the strong tea. What kind of herbs even smelled that strong?

   'You went after my family.' Her voice didn't flatter as she spoke.

 Cassian tensed, his face becoming serious. She took a step forward, meeting his stare with a ferocity that almost made him step back. A human woman's stare kept him, the General of the Night Court in place.

   'Feyre haunted, haunting is not enough to keep a family alive. Cooking, laundry, sewing, cleaning and all the other things that keep a house running. Who did that? Because it was not the father. I understand your loyalty to Feyre Archeron but a part of her is still an angry child looking for someone to blame for a shitty childhood. Nesta wasn't a villain she was a child.'

  If he had leaned in he was sure he would feel her breath on his neck. She was so close...and so right. His features softened. Of course he hadn't looked at it objectively, he was too devoted to his Curse Breaker to do so. He bit down his ego.

   'I apologize, it's their family business I shouldn't have gotten involved.'

 She must have seen the sincerity in his gaze because her own featured softened.

  'I also apologize for calling you a gold digger.'

 Rayna sighed, handing him a warm cup of the powerful smelling tea.

   'I can understand why you would think that.' She responded, biting her own ego down.

 A real smile appeared on Cassian's face.

   'Truce?' He sounded almost shy as he asked.

 She grabbed a chair and threw it in his direction. He caught it with easy, a confused look on his face before realizing it had no back or handles which made it comfortable for his wings.

   'Truce.' She replied.