storm

'You can't escape me, little shadow!'

 A shiver ran down her spine at the sound of the familiar cursed voice. The girl forced herself to breathe. Her hands were shaking violently, legs too sore to be able to carry her much further. Lifting her head, she pushed her tangled and stained with blood raven hair out of her face. She looked at the mountains not too far away. They have to have had some sort of cave or any place she could hide in, to rest for a while.

  Taking a deep breath to steady herself, the girl raised from the ground. Long onyx black wings attached to her spine brushed the ground with every step she took. After what felt like forever she reached the base of the mountains, finding a cave faster than she had expected.

  It wasn't big or comfortable, but it was enough. As she lowered herself to the ground, hugging her knees tightly, the girl did not allow herself to close her eyes. Well aware of the monsters hiding in the dark, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. But she was so tired. Maybe if she would just close them for a moment, just one...

   'Hello there.'

The girl jolted awake. It took her a few seconds to recall where she was. In the dark cave, alone no more. Terror shot through her as she looked up at the male standing before her.

  'Shhh, it's alright. I won't hurt you.' He spoke in a soft, gentle voice.

 He knelt before her, slowly reaching his hand forward. His skin was dark and hair long. His eyes seemed kind, despite his warrior like body and intimidating stance. What was strange about him though was the golden mask covering most of his face.

 'How did you get here-' He begun asking but froze mid question.

 Now that he was close enough, the male could fully see her, what she was. The shock in his eyes turned to sadness, a silent understanding and maybe even a bit of fear, not of her but for her.

  'How old are you?' He asked, trying to make her at least a bit more comfortable with him.

 She frowned, hesitating for a moment. He didn't seem like he wanted to harm her.

   'S-sixteen.' She answered honestly.

 A look of surprise passed on her face at her own voice. She hadn't spoken in so long, her voice has gotten rusty. The male's eyebrows shot up at her answer. She was so young. He knew what he had to do, but her frail age made it harder.

  'Listen, little one, she can't know you are here.' He whispered, a trace of fear in his voice.

 The male knew the risk he was taking, but the girl before him was a child. He couldn't let HER know.

   'I am going to help you, okay? But I need you to trust me.'

°•▪︎♤▪︎•°

      Rayna sat down at the table in her quarters, a mug of hot tea in her hands. Elain had packed those specific herbs for her journey, saying it would help her relax, calming her anxiety. She really needed it in that moment.

  Another thunder echoed in the distance as the ship violently shook again. They had been headed towards Summer Court when the storm hit. If there was something she hated more than the sea were the sea storms. She knew the ship would be fine, they would all be fine. It was just a normal storm. And yet she couldn't stop herself from tightening her hold on the mug.

    'May I enter?'

 Rayna tore her eyes away from her drink. In the doorway stood the male she had helped get to the healer's chamber the day before. He looked much better now. Without all the dirt, she could really see him. His hair was black and short, his shiny amber eyes were fixated on her. His pointy ears were not as long as a High Fae's so he must have been a half blood. He was surprisingly tall and build, but then again he was a farmer so she should have expected him to be.