Chapter 16

Barcelona had been nice.

Mystic Falls, on the other hand, wasn't. Each day they learned about a new bit of drama unfolding.

The most interesting bit, she learned from Elijah. Apparently, Rebekah had been daggered. Now, she was awake, and extremely cross with Klaus. So much so, she apparently invited Kol to Mystic Falls. He wasn't exactly her best friend at the moment, either, given his insistence that no one in the town should pursue the cure, lest they wake an immortal named Silas who no one but him seemed to believe in.

"He's onto something," said Lucy, on call with Evangeliya while she cleaned up her apartment. "All us witches are told about Silas. Scary stories, real scary ones. But from the sound of it, Rebekah and Klaus just think he's crazy or being a baby."

"What else do you know?" asked Evangeliya curiously. "Aside from the new details about Stefan forcing Jeremy to kill vampires, Klaus and Caroline's weird ass date, Damon and Elena finally screwing, the impromptu Salvatore trip to New Orleans, and... what else? Oh, yeah, Klaus killing all his hybids and Carol Lockwood which now leaves Tyler and that Hayley girl he had an affair with marked as 'M.I.A.' Ugh, poor Caroline, first her boyfriend cheats on her, then her friend gets mad at her for judging who she fucks when Damon literally abused her? Why is Elena surprised at Caroline's reaction? And then on top of that she has to deal with Klaus of all people liking her? I'd lose it if I was her."

"Well, it doesn't get much better in terms of news," said Lucy regretfully. "No one is heeding Kol's warning, they're just splitting into teams trying to find the cure anyway. Damon has Jeremy, who is slowly trying to complete the Hunter's mark. This Professor Shane guy– hold up, I'll send you the information I have on it– apparently survived Kol killing him and has Bonnie doing Expression to try and reach Silas. Klaus has the Hunter's sword. Kol tells me he tried to get Silas's headstone before Rebekah could get it, but it seems she beat him to it. He's really nervous and on-edge– he even compelled Damon to kill Jeremy so they wouldn't have a way of getting there. He knows so much about magic, you'd think people would listen when he warns them about this kind of shit. I'm afraid if people don't start listening, he's really going to go off the deep end and get himself hurt. He has the white oak stake, Eve, I think Klaus and Rebekah could decide to dagger him and I don't want that."

Evangeliya considered her words. "Okay. Ask your question."

"I'm so sorry to ask, I really am, but I'm hoping... you can help. Get Elijah to convince his siblings to back off this search. And I need you to help me kill Professor Shane for good. Get him away from Bonnie, I can handle the rest. Please, Eve."

"Of course, Lucy. You've done so much for me, I'll gladly help you. Though, how do you plan to save Bonnie when she's infected with Expression? Isn't that... irreversible?"

"I have an idea. It won't be easy but without that man gaslighting her, she stands a chance of remembering herself. I've already gotten in contact with her mother, she's coming tomorrow."

"Great. I'll talk to Elijah and get us on the next plane there."

She left her apartment, arriving at Elijah's to find him by his balcony, reading a book and drinking some coffee. He smiled upon seeing her, setting the book down instantly. "What a nice surprise."

"I wish it was," she said. "Lucy needs our help. I've already arranged a flight back to Mystic Falls for us, if you could please come with me. I know I shouldn't be asking you for anything, I know I shouldn't encourage you to go back to your siblings and risk a problem, but Lucy really thinks Kol is right about Silas, and we both agree you're the only one who can get Klaus and Rebekah to abandon this pursuit. She said, and I quote," she held up her phone to read the text, "'Kol thinks waking Silas would trigger the end of time, that we'll all be killed when he unleashes hell on Earth.' Elijah, you know your brother... do you think he could be wrong about this? Because it seems like witches everywhere are in agreement with what he says. Lucy fears they'll dagger him if he doesn't stop... they're the ones that have to stop looking for this thing."