Chapter 25

Klaus's rule was off to a shaky start.

The vampires wouldn't warm up to him so quickly. He invited the inner circle (Marcel included) to a dinner where she, Elijah, and Hayley were present. The entire time, they scowled.

"You could rule with an iron fist," mused Evangeliya when they were gone. "Strip every member of the inner circle– save Marcel– of their daylight rings. Make them earn it all over again or simply use it to place truly loyal vampires in there. Or you could do the opposite and make a grand gesture of giving all the surviving vampires daylight rings. It was your mother's spell, after all, and you can share it with them and show you want the kingdom to thrive by first allowing everyone to be on a level playing field."

"I would be inclined to suggest the second option," said Elijah. "Though I sense you'd enjoy the first," he eyed his brother, whose gaze was malevolent as he seemed to envision forcefully removing the daylight rings, "it will not earn you many friends."

Evangeliya held her hands up in surrender. "In hindsight I should only list the nice options."

"On the contrary," said Klaus, "I'd prefer my two advisors didn't only guide me down the righteous path." He glared at Elijah. "If there are multiple options, I will hear them all."

"I still don't see why I'm an advisor, all of the sudden," said Evangeliya honestly.

"Elijah requested I listen to your input; that is the entire reason you are in New Orleans. You are also the only vampire notaligned with Marcel. You will give unbiased advice."

Elijah sighed. "I believe what Evangeliya is inquiring is why you have even asked for our input when we know very well you will do what pleases you, Niklaus."

Klaus huffed. "I place you both in positions of high esteem and you complain?"

Evangeliya shook her head. "I'm not complaining but I just didn't know you were in the habit of listening to anyone other than yourself. I'm here to counsel about the baby. I don't exactly have experience running a city, much less one deemed a kingdom. Besides, we're trying to avoid conflict between us, and I don't think me telling you what to do is going to fly for very much longer."

The hybrid opened and closed his mouth before saying, "You have both earned the loyalty of many a vampire in the past."

She raised her brows. "You're thinking about what Marcel said, how you'll never have loyalty the way he did. And because Elijah created The Strix and I have my network, you think we can help you figure out how to get them all to like you. Well, why didn't you just say that?"

"I don't believe my brother is in the habit of speaking his thoughts outright," said Elijah, smirking over at Evangeliya.

Klaus rolled his eyes. "Stop that." He gestured at them, "I have given you my blessing but it does not mean I want you doing that in my presence."

"We just looked at each other."

"Well, stop it."

Evangeliya sighed. "Okay, want to hear the truth? You need to work on your people skills. You're not an approachable or friendly guy. You just exiled your sister from this house and your other one. You're rubbing Marcel's failure in his face. My advice? Try to be a little nicer for a day. Hayley's bored out of her mind, why don't you go chat with her, keep her company, ask her what she needs, try to plan ahead for when the baby arrives, and maybe just maybe you'll be in a better mood so you can get to know your vampires?"

Elijah nodded, as if he agreed. Klaus looked more irritated than pleased with their advice, but walked off obediently.

Two weeks passed before Evangeliya really began to notice a slight change in the community. Hayley's belly grew more and more each day, her back aching and feet often swollen. Klaus didn't exactly dote on her, but he had set out extra pillows in all the rooms she frequented when she hadn't been looking, and he'd kept her company whenever she read in the library.