Chapter 39

Her first task was getting a new phone.

Evangeliya made sure to text Cami, letting her know to distribute the number to the Mikaelsons, though keeping up the ruse that Evangeliya was on the way back to New Orleans. Though she knew this put her at risk for a series of calls from Elijah (which she planned to ignore), she figured it was more important that they be able to contact each other in the case of a real emergency.

The plan would be simple. Somehow, someway, she'd twist Finn to her agenda. All that mattered was that he left Hope alone. She'd been able to convince many people to help her in the past with a few sweet words, sometimes a bit more than words. She had a feeling what she'd said earlier had already struck Finn somehow, considering he hadn't killed her when he had a chance. With any luck, he only needed a bit more of a push in the right direction.

She didn't anticipate that she'd be caught in her lie.

When Elijah left her the first voicemail, she knew that he knew. She doubted Cami would have told him, and therefore assumed that Elijah had either figured out her plan simply by knowing her, or that he'd found a witch to track her movement and seen that she was not, in fact, getting any nearer to New Orleans.

"Evangeliya," he said sternly in the voicemail, "come back, as soon as you can. You let my brother and I handle Finn. Please."

Sighing, she decided to call him. "Can't do that, Elijah," she said. "Finn isn't going to respond well to you or Klaus. The story might be different with me."

To her surprise, it was not Elijah who replied, "Well," said Klaus, as if he was speaking to her and to his brother, "Finn did have a soft spot for Camille that cannot be used. Sage is dead and the only other woman I remember our brother having a weakness for was you. I imagine exploiting it may be in our favor. After all, our brother did trust Evangeliya to make what he thought was his last night in the world a spectacular one. She could get close enough to kill him."

"Not the plan," she said. "If I kill him, he body jumps and becomes even angrier. I'm not going to trick him; that won't help. What you can do, now that you're offering, is see if you can find out who he wants to jump into next. So that if I have no other choice but to kill him, we can find him fast. I think we need to keep him alive; if Freya is really here and has any knowledge about Dahlia that can be of use, we need to ensure she can be an ally. Killing the only brother she remembers isn't going to help Hope. I'd rather not piss her off, considering witches from your bloodline have a habit of being devastating."

"Finn may not have his abilities at the moment," noted Klaus. "Rebekah and Kol found a way to overwhelm him. He is no longer channeling Mikael."

"That must be why I was able to get away from him. If his powers are fried or just less potent, that works for me."

"Which is why, as soon as we determine who he is jumping into next, you will kill him."

"Dear god it's like you have selective hearing. Wolves are not meant to be deaf. I will figure out Finn. You find who he's jumping into and see if you can find Freya. Maybe Finn can be used as leverage if it gets really bad. Just consider that maybe the best way to get rid of Finn is letting him go and be free in a human body. I think when he is free of Esther's influence, he might be a lot less of a threat. Consider that. Elijah? You there?"

Klaus handed the phone to him. "I do not like this, Evangeliya," said Elijah. "Finn may not have harmed you yet but he might not tolerate your words much longer. Please, do not be stubborn. Come to New Orleans."

"I'll be back when I've figured this out."

"Be honest, Elijah," said Klaus from behind him, "you are jealous."