homophobic?

the car drive was pretty easy- me and Minho opted for taking our cars- to test out these new boosters I had been working on. since I had been spending time with the gladers they had given me a room to do my work in and sleep in. chucks room had still been left untouched and I don't dare go in there or even ask- too worried it would start something I wasn't ready for. newt had been left in a car with Teresa who specifically asked to have newt with her so they could catch up. me and Minho had argued against it but the rest were insistent. I was worried for him.  my hands were tight on the wheel as i mulled over why she'd want him with her- he clearly had an issue with her and she had made passive aggressive comments at him for almost a week. the idea of him stuck in a car with her made my stomach churn.

we tore down desolate desert roads, using the empty space and straight tarmac to test just how fast we could go. I got to 260 full out. Minho only got to 240.

as i overtook the glader the crackle of static filled my car.

"why the shuck am I slower than you?"
Minho asked over the comms. I laughed loudly.

"I might have been a little petty and struck yours down a little."

I confessed. I heard a lot of cussing and insults from the other end which only made me laugh more. I slowed down till it was an acceptable pace for the law and Minho copied- I looked out my window to see him sticking up his middle fingers- I returned the gesture with a grin.

-

finally we passed the beacon hills sign just as the sun was seeping into the horizon.  my carefree attitude was straight out the window. memories flooding back as we entered. I swallowed a lump in my throat- my phone pinged off.  texting and driving is never good... I know that but I saw it was from newt. I opened it up.

newtie: just breathe, youre fine (:

I grinned at my phone and typed a quick message back.

me: thanks- i really needed that... hows Teresa? u gossiping like school girls??

his chat box appeared an disappeared a handful of times before he just put.

newtie: lol, so much fun here...

I furrowed my eyebrows- something was up.

Newts Pov a few minutes earlier:

the car drive had been relatively silent for the entire ride, I tried not to engage with her at all and clearly she did the same- it made me wonder why she even wanted me to come on this trip with her...there must be an alterior motive.

"so... newt"

I snapped my head round to look at her. here we go...

"you and tom are close huh? good friends right?"

I nodded my head carefully. what was she building up to?

"oh phew- for a moment I thought you had feelings for him, that would've been bad I mean that guy is as straight as a pole- he told me himself"
she laughed happily
that made me pull a face- this cannot be the same person, especially not the tommy that was inches away from kissing me just a few days ago. what was Teresa lying for? I went to say this but she cut me off.

"anyway im pretty sure hes homophobic- at least I know hes not a fan of the LGBTQ+ I mean he pulls faces when we went out every time he would see even a smidge of that type of thing... I just don't wan tyou to get hurt so. stay as friends. yeah?"

sh asked eyeing me as if i were prey.
I didn't respond- I just looked back to the road. was tommy really homophobic? I would've never pegged him for one- then again its like they say, its always the ones you least expect. there was silence again, thick and awkward.