moles, plans and wolves

when i woke up newt was in my arms- i was still half asleep- it was pitch black in our room and for a moment i wondered why i had even woken up. until i heard my phones shrill ring- through half lidded eyes i fumbled to grab it, sleep still scrambling my mind. squinting from the sudden attack of light i saw the blurry name of scott in bold letters. i groaned in irritation but carefully retracted myself from newt who grumbled crankily (; i quickly stepped onto the balcony, it was colder than i had expected. i closed the door behind me and with a harsh sigh picked up.

"hello...?"

my voice sounded hoarse from sleep.

stiles! hey! just wanted to check up on you. we haven't met up in forever... where about are you.

sleep dust clumped in my eyes- i rubbed it away as he spoke- half of me still struggling to wake up.

"i'm in chicago at the moment and also... no. what makes you think i want to talk to you?"
i responded shortly. the line went silent and for a moment i thought he hung up, i shivered slightly from the cold, goosebumps running up my arms. as the silence dragged out i regretted ever picking up- and for not throwing on a hoodie beforehand.

alright then. well me and the pack are going to this race today. should be good but i'll catch up with you another time.

i felt my blood freeze- no way he knew, ice trickled down my spine the wave of cold having nothing to do with the early morning air. i checked my messages and my stomach sunk further at my dads message.

daddio: the pack knows your back. they smelt you in the house- sorry son. i told them not to bother you though.

"fuck"
i mutter but go back to the call. scott was yelling my name down the line.

"alright then. have a good time- bye"
i mutter before hanging up. my teeth chattered lightly as  i hurried back in, i was still exhausted. i slipped back under the covers and wrapped myself sleepily around newt who grumbled more at how cold i was.

"i'm cold and you a heater shush"
i manage to say, i soon begin to feel myself drift off again as newt says.

"okay tommy..."

the next morning we didn't speak of it as we got ready for the race that day. it wasn't awkward it was just left unspoken. i didn't really know how to tell him that i wanted him that close. i was painfully aware of how little time we had left in our hotel room. i didn't know what i'd do back at the gladers home.

-

this was it- the first day of a two day race, two different courses and lucky for us no WCKD. it was all just smaller groups who were were pretty confident going up against. both our cars were looking immaculate and in my expert opinion much better than the other contestants. i was about to walk out to mine, my helmet in my hand when newt yanked me back. i gave him a quizzical look but he just pointed to the crowd.

after a moment of scanning i saw the pack- i was about to walk out without the helmet on that wouldn't have gone well.

"thanks"
i say softly, shoving my helmet onto my head newt looked at me for a while; i kept his gaze- my visor still up. i brushed his cheek with my thumb and put a strand of his hair back in place. it was like time stopped for a moment before he snapped back and pulled away, muttering a small 'good luck'

i watched him walk away with a soft sigh. i wanted to follow him, to grab him and tell him how much he means to me- that the feelings that started off as a spark had began to erupt into flames that licked the sky. but i didn't, instead i steeled myself and flicked down my visor before striding out. minho seemed to have understood and did the same. the crowd erupted into cheers when they saw us.