1. The familiarity of a stranger

Artificial light glanced off of the reinforced silver siding, the snow-white train silently gliding to a smooth stop before me. I stood poised but breathing heavily, my chest heaving as sweat trickled in consistent streams, running down the nape of my neck and back. The white jumpsuit that I wore clung like a second skin.

'Not breathable after all.' I wasn't surprised.

My legs burnt with the kind of ache that would have made even the most independent wish for another to carry them off in an exhausted, hazy fantasy. The pounding of my blood had settled into a headache, my communication implant fading out.

On edge and waiting, I suddenly heard their running footsteps again as the doors slid back. I took two steps forward before jumping from where I was. As I landed, I heard the ping of a bullet glancing off of one of the doors.

Twisting around on the metal lip of the train, I raised both hands, and, using telekinesis, threw the determined guy onto the tracks with brutal force. I watched as his gun flew out of his hand, smashing into the platform wall. A small ribbon of flame whipping past my face as he attempted to attack me one last time, before he finally fell onto the tracks, where he lay unnaturally and unmoving. Expressionless and still panting, I turned away.

The train doors shut decisively, and in moments we were comfortably sliding along at unfathomable speeds as though nothing had happened. The aggressive stranger's, no-doubt mutilated body becoming just another forgotten moment.

Moving along, I entered a private pod. Scanning the implant in my left wrist, I shut and locked the door behind me listening to the soft hiss as it closed. Falling backwards into the soft and sumptuous seating, I waved my hand at the dust that rose like a poisonous cloud, lingering in the air. The outlying cities, now numbered sectors with their mix of old and new technology were often either arid and in despair, or slick in the aftermath of a storm or torrential downpour.

Letting my eyes close for a moment, I enjoyed the air conditioning. A welcome break from the humid, sweat-soaked atmosphere of sector seven. The dregs of a broken down and fearful society still echoed in pockets of most of the old sectors - and despite information stating otherwise, there were no signs of those that had been reported to be murdering others like myself.

Those of us that had evolved with the ability to use one form or another of telekinesis. There was also the mysterious and recurring stories of the appearance of two male figures. The duo always seemed to be near-by when the killing sprees began. Yet no-one could remember anything more about either of them, which only intrigued me further.

Although the very same people that I'd spoken to then had gone on to describe in great detail, the exact same thing when speaking of the actual gruesome murders.

I sighed in impatience as I rolled my shoulders.

The appearance of bright white light and wild flames, painting the sight as almost biblical. They'd also said that the wielders of such power had been either snarling and aggressive, or completely unresponsive. I had seen the genuine horror in their eyes as they had spoken. It was very rare for witnesses to ever give such cohesive statements, and yet they had. After that, I'd been chased for two miles, all the while heading for the underground bullet train.

Throwing my head back with another sigh, I opened my eyes and looked down to give myself the once over. I was filthy, covered in sweat and grime. The dust and sand had become a third skin over my jumpsuit, but one that was tight and cracked like the parched desert ground, yet far less attractive.

I snorted irritably at the thought of having to shower at the private locker station. The morning and afternoon had been a long one, and the day still wasn't over. I had yet to track down another target and tag him. Though it shouldn't be too difficult, the worst part was finding him amongst the crowds in the underground club, Bluebird.