8. The thrill of danger

The sound of gunshots rang through the air, at the same time I heard the shouting of voices, laughter and the sound of my name, as Cain and Abel stirred next to me. The three of us slowly rolling over, as a thick layer of dust covered us.

‘Seriously, is it impossible to stay clean for more than a fucking moment.’

Another loud explosion sounded off to the side as Abel swore.

“They’re targeting the crypt.”

Through narrowed eyes, I saw Cain nod, before they both turned to me with an expectant look, holding more than the hint of a challenge. I could hear the footfalls of the others nearing us as I took in a deep breath, before sending out a pulsing surge of telekinetic energy.

We all heard the moment it hit, the sound of gunfire accidentally going off as they were knocked off of their feet in chaos. A second later, we were on our feet and moving, half staggering, half running towards the huge fallen pillars.

As we hid to one side, Cain lowered his head, moving closer to me, his eyes narrowed in malice as he nodded towards the attackers. “They’re an ancient race, descended from Angel guardians that once guarded the clans of deities.” He looked to the side. “They have no gifts, but they’re strong and have very long life spans.” Raising his eyes, he met mine. “And they’re also exceptionally bitter, with a hatred for humanity that burns hot.”

We ducked as more gunshots rang out, and Abel spoke.

“Let’s split up. Cain and I’ll flank opposite sides, keeping them trapped between us.” He looked over his shoulder, eyeing me. “You remain here and distract them, pushing them towards either myself or Cain.”

For a moment I studied Abel, interested in his strategy, but my gaze didn’t go unnoticed.

A sexy smile slowly spread across his features. “I’m not only a taunting flirt,” he winked. “I have other skills that help me to survive, though my charm is a large part of it.”

My eyes narrowed. ‘Then let’s test that, shall we.’

Without hesitation, I shoved him out from behind our shelter, almost laughing at his shocked expression. Gunshots immediately rang out in his direction, but he rolled to the side as they harmlessly hit the dirt beside him. His eyes flicked up to meet mine as he winked again, a smirk lingering on his lips, before he jumped to his feet and took off running, his own laughter echoing behind him.

As he disappeared, I turned back to Cain to find him quietly chuckling. “You’re clearly both enjoying this.”

As we stared at one another, I noticed his light grey eyes darken.

“What’s life without a challenge?”

He threw my earlier words back at me, and then he was gone. His darkly dressed figure almost indistinguishable from the shadowed woodland.

Looking down, I picked up my gun, only then noticing that the other two guns and ammunition were gone. They’d clearly taken them without me knowing, their long lives showing their experience. I was impressed and irritated at the same time, the two feelings were becoming a constant around those two.

Settling down into a more comfortable position, I gripped my gun, peering over the pillar to see several men and women heading towards me. As I waited for them to close the distance, I crawled around to the left, the hard ground making itself known every time I pushed forward. Reaching another pillar, I stood, using its crooked width as cover. I knew the ruins like the back of my hand, and therefore their advantages and disadvantages.

I snorted. ‘At least something came from lost hours of wandering around here.’

Leaning to the side, I fired four shots into their group, before diving back onto the ground, twigs and brush snapping and scratching me as I crawled back to the best vantage point. I heard their return fire pinging off of the pillar, shattering stone in all directions.