9. The doorway of death

As we took cover, we waited on edge, knowing that Casimir clearly had something in mind. It wasn’t long until I heard his voice.

“It seems you’ve changed, Lilith, since I last saw you, not to mention you’ve fallen in with bad company.”

My anger flared as I felt my skin flush, a golden hue bathing me from head to foot. I could feel the divine energy pulsing, as I tensed trying to hold it back. Rising to my feet, I felt Cain and Abel watching me, as I walked out to face Casimir.

“Well, you’d know all about that, wouldn’t you?” I stopped just a few feet away from him, but he ignored me. Instead, turning to the side to summon someone.

After a moment, a stranger stepped forward carrying a small body in his arms. I would have recognised him anywhere. Aquilo lay unnaturally still as he was placed onto the ground, his snowy hair a mess and slick with sweat. As I looked him over, his pale complexion was drained, seeming almost lifeless.

My breathing deepened as I tore my gaze away from him, to focus on Casimir.

“What did you do to him?” I asked, my voice arctic.

Casimir smiled. “He’s suffering from a slow and painful poison, his heart will continue to slow down the more his pain rises, until eventually coming to a slow stop.” He raised an eyebrow, looking at me expectantly.

“Unless...? What do you want?”

He nodded, with the quirk of a satisfied smile. “Unless you come with me, willingly.” His expression took on a look of half-hearted sympathy. “It’s such a shame for him that I happened to catch him as he made his way to you. The news of the fall of sector nine upset him greatly. He must feel very attached to you. How sad that it’s leading him to an early death.”

There was so much and yet so little that I wanted to say to him, but mainly I was determined to make him suffer.

“Give Aquilo the antidote, now.” There was no feeling in my voice, my emotions having faded into obscurity.

‘Well, the little that remained of them anyway.’

“And you’ll come with me, willingly?” He asked, even though he already knew the answer.

“Just do it, I’m not interested in repeating the answers to questions that you’ve already answered for me.”

I watched carefully as he stepped forward, kneeling down as he withdrew a small vial. Moving to the side, I approached Aquilo, lifting his head slightly as Casimir brought the antidote to his lips, pouring it down his throat. Carefully, I laid him back down, his skin so cold to the touch, I shivered. As I stood back up, I saw that Casimir had already backed away.

“He’ll be fine, but he may not regain consciousness for a few days. I’m sure his body needs the rest, he’s been through quite the ordeal. Befriending you has been quite cruel to him,” Casimir said, enjoying his every word.

‘When I kill him, I’m going to make his death a fucking painful one.’

For the moment, I ignored him and asked a question of my own. “What do you want with me?”

“I could tell you, but why should I? You’ve already agreed, you’ve nothing left to bargain with,” he said in delight.

“If you don’t tell me, let’s just say they’ll be consequences.” I spoke softly as I leant down to pick up Aquilo, carrying him.

“And what can you do, Lilith? You’re forgetting the position you’re in, did our therapy sessions not teach you anything?” His gaze flicked over Aquilo. “You know I’ll kill him right here if you refuse.”