10. A deadly game

Tethered to a large stone pillar, I was bound in place, my legs and wrists shackled, as my arms were stretched out up above me. The smoothness of the stone cooled my skin in the wide open space. Shelving decorated the walls holding all manner of tomes, tablets and long untold knowledge. Braziers resting upon smaller pillars lit up the old-fashioned ladders, their aged and warped condition flickering in the shadow of their flames.

When I had first woken up, I’d bearly been able to see or hear anything. Disorientation had distorted everything, as though I’d been trapped underwater with the hangover from hell. Even now my head throbbed, and nausea came and went in waves, as Casimir observed me.

“I’m glad you could join me, Lilith.”

“Of course, I’m fucking thrilled to be here.”

He laughed as he turned, withdrawing a syringe and alcohol swab from his pocket, before coming over to rest beside me.

“Since you’re here, I might as well tell you a little more, as I know you’re probably still missing some information – and ignorance is so demeaning.” He graced me with one of his know-it-all smiles. “You know, I originally joined the sanctuary with the intension of finding inside information, but training and then working as a psychologist allowed me a deeper understanding of what really drives humanity. Back when I released the TL3 virus all those years ago, I lacked that understanding. Even though the virus spread, wiping out and ravaging nearly three quarters of the world’s population, there were still those that were naturally immune.”

He shook his head, a fevered bitterness shining in his eyes. “Humanity’s will to survive, and their adaptability, was too strong. It wasn’t until I came across you that day in the library, reading The Tempest by Shakespeare, that I realised. You were called away, and I offered to return the book to the shelf for you, I knew my false politeness irritated you.” He laughed. “Which is why I offered, but before I could, a certain quote by Ariel, caught my eye, Hell is empty and all the devils are here.”

‘Not all, just one.’

“That quote stayed with me for the rest of the day, constantly lingering, until I realised the one thing that humanity has never been able to resist. Even to the point of their own destruction, it seeps into all aspects of their lives.”

He looked at me, waiting for an answer, which was only too obvious.

“You’re speaking of power,” I said.

“You were always smart.” His smile turned from sinister to appreciative. “Yes power, and as a descendant of the angel guardians that protected the deity clans, it was easy enough back then to learn about the different energies affecting the earth, along with powerful relics.” Turning, he removed an implement from his pocket, throwing it to someone close by. “Once I realised that power was the key to humanity’s undoing, I found a very ancient relic after years of searching, and placed it at the heart of all life.”

He looked me dead in the eye just as I realised. “Yes that’s right. It’s here in this beautiful royal library of Ashurbanipal, the one that everyone thought was lost. From here, I’ve watched as its energy slowly corrupts all souls. The best thing being that those hungry for power, it kills quickly, draining their life force, and those that struggle against it, not wishing to wield it’s power are killed by the others, or take their own lives unable to bear the suffering.”

I watched as his features twisted in pleasure, as he eyed me in satisfaction.

“Well, most people fit into those two categories, but as usual, you have to be different. Although it’s worked out well this time, as I can use your strength and resistance to strengthen the corrupted army that serve me, prolonging their usefulness.”