3. Anywhere but here

The vibrant lights and bright neon signs were always a harsh reality to strained and overtired eyes. For me, now-so more than ever after the blackness of Bluebird. I squinted as I made my way through the main streets, before turning off onto a lesser well known road. There, the buildings hung back in the shadows, less keen for attention. For most who entered through their doorways were no less keen to be observed in their search for black-market goods. Seeing them, shrouded in darkness, was another reminder of the two curious strangers from earlier.

As I wound my way through the dimmer sections, I finally came to the centre. Overshadowing all, was the sanctuary. Its reaching spires stood glistening the colour of onyx gemstones, the very tips of the two towers of crystal. Clean, sharp lines stood with smooth, unblemished surfaces, completing its natural but intimidating formation.

I stood, watching from within the darkness as it subtly caught the light of the moon, a natural wonder that had found a new purpose. Despite everything, and against all rational thought, the crystal towers seemed to have grown out from between the surrounding silver birch and blossom trees – which were now genetically enhanced but still beautiful. It was also a reminder to us all, that those of the sanctuary were bound to protect harmony and mother nature.

Exhaustion weighing evermore heavily, I still managed to lightly climb the steps to the touchscreen doors, the black glass mirroring my every movement.

The thought of the impending debriefing brought an ironic smile to my lips as I held up my right hand, especially as it was simply another term for checking your mental well-being. Anyone that had to put up with Casimir’s head games was not only mentally strong, but royally pissed off afterwards. Just one of the many reasons that I spent as little time there as possible.

The doors gave way, and I made my way inside. The cool air soothing my overheated skin and aching muscles. They often circulated certain essential oils, that helped to keep stress to a minimum. It had something to do with the crystal walls, helping to enhance the effect. Although I knew of at least one person who seemed to be immune to its benefits, fortunately I didn’t see Lavender anywhere.

The woman could be a malicious sack of flesh. I often ignored her, as I usually ignored almost everyone. At that moment I happened to catch the movement of a familiar small boy, glancing in my direction. His pale red eyes and shocking white hair, were familiar. The dark circles that had settled beneath his eyes, no-doubt mirrored my own. He was clearly albino and very alone, as he sat trembling. It looked like Lavender had left her mark on him once again. I often wondered if, that was why, I would sometimes catch him following me at a distance.

As I walked away toward my debriefing, I soon found his small shadow walking beside me. He said nothing, but remained close as we stepped into the lift from the spacious indigo and white foyer. Without looking down, I felt him gently take hold of the side of my playsuit. It was an unsettling feeling, after he’d always kept a slight distance previously.

Still not looking at him, I stared at the lift doors, ignoring the mirrored walls. “Are you okay?” I asked.

He didn’t speak, but I heard the rustle of clothing, so I glanced down to see him subtly nodding his head. His pure white hair casting a silky sheen as it fell forward, under the bright lights. I found it pretty amusing that out of everyone here, he’d chosen to cling to me. The most anti-social of them all. If he only knew that the sanctuary suspected that I had killed my own parents as a child, through my loss of control of telekinesis. No-one had bothered to tell me, I’d found out for myself through the stolen files.

Bringing me back were the lift doors opening. As always, at night the floor to ceiling windows allowed the flood of vibrancy from the city, to cast its sin upon the interior walls. The tranquil silence of the space was a welcome relief, as I slowly began to relax. Only then did I realise that we weren’t alone.