22. you're on your own, kid

"so make the friendship braceletstake the moment and taste ityou've got no reason to be afraid

take the moment and taste it
you've got no reason to be afraid."

Evelyn Cameron was a Pogue now. After living in a deserted island for over two weeks now, she had been crowned as such. It was on their first day there, actually, that the Pogues admitted her and Cleo as such. She wasn't static at first, always proud to be a Kook. But, it was when she saw the excitement in JJ's eyes, that she realised being a Pogue wasn't all that bad. Funny how someone who used to despite them so much, ended up being one. And, she hated to admit that she was enjoying her time in Poguelandia. Her red shorts had been cut short by JJ, after she complained about the heat. And her sweater had become her pillow. Along with her sister, whose outfit was the same hut in a different colour, she wore the tank top that used to be covered by the sweater. Of the same colour as their shorts.

Jocelyn was grateful she had wore a sport's bra, so she could be in that and the sweatpants that reached above her knee. She had only discarded her jumper, that she would use at night when it got chilly. All of them had cut their shirts, done different things so they didn't feel the warmth the sun provided them. But, they all looked like shit anyway. And being the fashion girly Evelyn was, she used to complain about it more than the rest. Although, their clothes were the least of their problems. Luckily enough, they all had different skills that proved to be helpful. Whether is was hunting, their knowledge about plants and berries, how to make a fort, or others. They were surviving. Together.

The island was quiet, something that often creeped them out. Even if none of them voiced it out. Evelyn had problems with it, especially at night. Tossing and turning around, with JJ besides her snoring softly. If they were back at the OBX, she would complain about it, but she embraced it in the too quiet island. He was oblivious to the hours she would spend staring at him, the only light coming from the moon and the stars. But she could see him perfectly. And she would fall asleep with him being the last thing she saw.

Crack.

Evelyn sat up, breathing heavily and clutching a hand against her hand. She glanced at JJ, who was still peacefully sleeping. Slowly, she stood up, feeling dizzy as she had just fallen asleep. Her friends, or rather family, was still sleeping. None of them dared to move, too deep into their own slumbers. Taking a deep breath, she took a step forward. Her head began to hurt as she kept glancing from one side to the other, all until she felt a hand against her mouth, and an arm around her throat. She tried to pull whoever had grabbed her away, but the person only shushed her in a whisper, "You don't want to wake your friends, do you?"

Rafe. She shook her head slowly, closing her eyes as a tear dropped from her eye. When she opened them, Ward had Wheezie in front of her, gun to her head, "Please, Evelyn. Help me!" With wide eyes, Evelyn quickly got into action. Her head bumped with Rafe's, making him step back from her. She didn't know how she did it, but she grabbed the gun from Ward and pointed it at him.