Chapter 9: The Midnight Duel

Until they met Draco Malfoy, Harry and Y/N never imagined they would encounter a boy they would despise even more than Dudley. However, first-year Gryffindor students only had Potions with the Slytherins, so they didn't have to deal with Malfoy too much. They didn't, at least, not until they saw a notice pinned in the Gryffindor common room, which caused them all to groan. Beginning on Thursday, Gryffindor and Slytherin would be taking flying lessons together.

"Typical," Harry said. "Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy."

More than anything else, he and Y/N had been looking forward to learning to fly.

"You don't know you'll make a fool of yourself," Ron said. "Anyway, I know Malfoy's always going on about how good he is at Quidditch, but I bet that's all talk."

Malfoy undoubtedly spoke much about flying. He complained loudly about how first-years weren't allowed to play on the house Quidditch teams and told lengthy, pompous tales about how he had narrowly escaped Muggles in helicopters at the conclusion of each one. Yet, he wasn't alone. According to Seamus Finnigan, he spent the majority of his childhood flying over the countryside on his broomstick. Even Ron would tell anybody who would listen about how he nearly hit a hang glider while using Charlie's old broom. Quidditch was continually brought up by people from wizarding families. Ron and Dean Thomas, who shared a dormitory, had already engaged in a heated debate over football. Ron didn't get the appeal of a game involving just one ball and no flying. Ron was seen by Y/N poking Dean's poster of the West Ham football club and attempting to get the players to move.

Neville had never used a broomstick because his grandmother would not allow him to get close to one. Neville managed to have an incredible number of mishaps even with both feet on the ground, so secretly Y/N believed she had an excellent reason.

Neville's anxiety about flying was almost equal to Hermione Granger's. Not that she hadn't tried, but this was something you couldn't learn by heart from a book. On Thursday morning during breakfast, she wore everyone out with flying advice she had taken from a Library book called Quidditch Through The Ages. Everyone was happy when Hermione's lesson was cut short by the post arriving, but Neville was clinging to her every word, hoping for anything that may help him hang onto his broomstick later.

Since Hagrid's note, Harry and Y/N hadn't received a single letter, which Malfoy had noticed right away. Malfoy's eagle owl regularly brought him treats from home, which he would open at the Slytherin table while giggling.

Neville received a small package from his grandmother via a barn owl. He excitedly opened it and showed them a glass object the size of a large marble that appeared to be filled with white smoke.

"It's a Remembrall!" he enlightened them. "Gran knows I forget things - this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red - oh..." His face dropped as a result of the Remembrall's unexpected turn to red, "... you've forgotten something..."

Draco Malfoy took the Remembrall from Neville's grasp as he passed the Gryffindor table while Neville was attempting to recall what he had forgotten.

Ron, Y/N, and Harry immediately stood up. Professor McGonagall, who could spot trouble faster than any teacher in the school, arrived in a hurry as they were half hoping for a reason to fight Malfoy.

"What's going on?"

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor."

Malfoy scowled and quickly placed the Remembrall back on the table.

"Just looking," he said, he then sloped off, Crabbe and Goyle following in his wake.