Chapter 13: Nicolas Flamel

The Invisibility Cloak remained folded at the bottom of Y/N's trunk for the remainder of the Christmas holidays after Dumbledore persuaded Harry and Y/N not to search for the Mirror Of Erised again. Y/N wished that he could easily forget what he and Harry had seen in the Mirror, but he was unable to do so. Harry and he both began to experience nightmares. They kept having dreams where their parents would vanish in a flash of green light while a high voice laughed.

"You see, Dumbledore was right, that mirror could drive you mad," Ron said when Harry and Y/N told him about their recurring dreams.

Hermione, who returned the day before classes began, had a different perspective. She was torn between the terror of Harry and Y/N leaving their beds and wandering the school three nights in a row ("What if Filch had caught you!") and frustration that they hadn't at least learned who Nicolas Flamel was.

Even though Y/N was still convinced he had read the name someplace, they had all but given up hope of ever finding Flamel in a library book. They returned to reading books for ten minutes during breaks between classes once the new term had begun. Due to the fact that Quidditch practice had resumed, Y/N had even less time than the other three.

Wood was making the team work harder than ever. Even the never-ending downpour that had taken the place of the snow couldn't dampen his spirits. The Weasleys complained that Wood was becoming a zealot, while Y/N supported Wood. For the first time in seven years, they would pass Slytherin in the House Championship if they defeated Hufflepuff in their ensuing match. Beyond just wanting to win, Y/N discovered that he experienced fewer nightmares after a long day of training.

Then, during one especially muddy and wet practice, Wood broke some bad news to the team. He had just been quite irate with the Weasleys for continuing to dive-bomb one another and act like they were falling off their brooms.

"Will you stop messing around!" he shouted. "That's exactly the sort of thing that'll lose us the match! Snape's refereeing this time, and he'll be looking for any excuse to knock points off Gryffindor!"

At these words, George Weasley genuinely did fall off his broom.

"Snape's refereeing?" he spluttered with a mouthful of muck. "When's he ever refereed a Quidditch match? He's not going to be fair if we might overtake Slytherin."

To add to George's complaints, the rest of the team landed next to him.

"It's not my fault," Wood said. "We've just got to make sure we play a clean game, so Snape hasn't got an excuse to pick on us."

This was all very well, but Y/N still didn't want Snape to be around him while he was playing Quidditch...

After practice, the rest of the team stayed back to chat as usual, but Y/N went straight to the Gryffindor common room and discovered Ron, Harry and Hermione playing chess. Chess was the only game Hermione had ever lost, which Y/N, Harry and Ron believed was good for her.

"Don't talk to me for a moment," Ron said as Y/N sat down next to Harry. "I need to concen-" He caught sight of Y/N's face.

"What's the matter with you?" Harry asked. "You look terrible."

Y/N informed the other three about Snape's suddenly ominous wish to serve as a Quidditch referee while speaking quietly so as not to be overheard by anybody else.

"Don't play," Hermione said at once.

"Say you're ill," Ron said.

"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione recommended.

"Really break your leg," Ron said.

"I can't," Y/N said. "There aren't any reserve Seekers. If I can't play, Gryffindor can't play at all."