Chapter 10: Halloween

Malfoy was astounded to see that Harry, Ron, and Y/N were still at Hogwarts the following day, appearing exhausted but otherwise in good spirits. As a matter of fact, by the next morning, Harry, Y/N, and Ron agreed that meeting the three-headed dog had been a fantastic adventure and were eager to have another one. In the interim, Ron was informed by Harry and Y/N about the package that appeared to have been transported from Gringotts to Hogwarts, and they spent a lot of time speculating about what may require such strict security.

"It's probably really valuable," Ron said.

"Or really dangerous," Harry said.

"Or both," Y/N said.

They had little hope of figuring out what the odd object was without more information, however, as all they knew for sure was that it was roughly two inches long.

Neville and Hermione showed no interest in what was hidden beneath the dog and the trapdoor. Neville was only concerned about keeping away from the dog forever.

Hermione was now avoiding speaking to Harry, Y/N, and Ron, but because she was such a bossy know-it-all, they viewed this as an extra benefit. All they wanted was a means to get even with Malfoy, and much to their surprise, it did, about a week later, when it arrived with the post.

As the owls poured into the Great Hall as usual, a long, thin parcel carried by six enormous screech owls immediately attracted everyone's attention. Y/N was as curious as everyone else to find out what was inside this parcel, so he was astounded when the owls flew down and dropped it in front of him, sending his bacon crashing to the ground. Just as they were about to fly away, another owl dropped a letter on top of the package.

First, Y/N tore open the letter, which was fortunate, because it said:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.
It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand,
But I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one.
Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch pitch at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor McGonagall

As he handed the note to Ron and Harry to read, Y/N struggled to contain his excitement.

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one."

Before their first lesson, they wanted to unwrap the broomstick in secret, so they hastily left the Great Hall. However, halfway across the Entrance Hall, they found Crabbe and Goyle blocking the route upstairs. Malfoy took the package from Y/N and examined it.

"That's a broomstick," he said, tossing it back to Y/N. "You'll be for it this time, Y/N, first-years aren't allowed them."

Ron couldn't help himself.

"It's not any old broomstick," he said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at Harry and Y/N. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up, twig by twig."

Ron was about to respond when Professor Flitwick popped up at Malfoy's elbow.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys?" he squeaked.

"Y/N's been sent a broomstick, Professor," Malfoy said.

"Yes, yes, that's right," Professor Flitwick said, smiling at Y/N. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Y/N. And what model is it?"