Chapter 12: The Mirror Of Erised

Christmas was approaching. Hogwarts woke up to find itself covered in several feet of snow one morning in mid-December. The lake had frozen solid. The Weasley twins were punished because they had bewitched many snowballs so they followed Quirrell about and bounced off the back of his turban. The few owls who made it through the turbulent sky to deliver post had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they were able to take to the air again.

Nobody could wait for the Christmas holidays to begin. The roaring flames in the Gryffindor common room and the Great Hall contrasted with the chilly halls and biting wind that rattled the classroom windows. Worst of all were Professor Snape's lessons in the dungeons, where students kept as close to their heated cauldrons as possible and their breath rose in a cloud before them.

"I do feel so sorry," Draco Malfoy said, one Potions class, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

He looked at Y/N and Harry as he spoke. Crabbe and Goyle chuckled. They were ignored by Y/N and Harry, who were measuring out powdered lionfish spine. Since the Quidditch match, Malfoy had been even more nasty than normal. He had attempted to make everyone laugh by joking that Y/N would soon be replaced as Seeker by a wide-mouthed tree frog because he was disgusted that the Slytherins had lost. He later realised that no one considered this amusing because they were so in awe of Y/N's ability to maintain his balance on his bucking broomstick. Malfoy then resumed harassing Y/N and Harry about not having a real family out of jealousy and rage.

It was true that Harry and Y/N wouldn't be spending Christmas at Privet Drive. Y/N and Harry immediately signed up when Professor McGonagall came around the previous week to make a list of students who would be staying during the holidays. This would probably be the greatest Christmas of their lives, so they had no need to feel sorry for themselves. Due to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley visiting Charlie in Romania, Ron and his brothers were also staying.

At the end of Potions, when they emerged from the dungeons, a large fir tree blocked the way. They could tell Hagrid was behind it by the two gigantic feet protruding from the bottom and the loud puffing sound.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked, poking his head through the branches.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron."

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" Malfoy's icy drawl came from behind them. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose - that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Just as Snape was climbing the stairs, Ron dove at Malfoy.

"WEASLEY!"

Ron released his hold on Malfoy's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," Hagrid said, his enormous hairy face protruding from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," Snape said. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle shoved past the tree rudely while smiling and scattering needles all over.

"I'll get him," Ron said, gnashing his teeth at Malfoy's back, "one of these days, I'll get him -"

"I hate them both," Harry said.

"Me too," Y/N said, "Malfoy and Snape."

"Come on, cheer up, it's nearly Christmas," Hagrid said. "Tell yeh what, come with me an' see the Great Hall, looks a treat."