2 - Warm Wind

The wind would have brought tears to my eyes if it wasn't for my gear. The chill manages to slip in however by the opening of my sleeves, I'm thankful for my boots swallowing my pants. I steal a glance at the streets bellow before putting my eye back in the scope. Fuck it's high.

« Snake on branch. » Max states on radio but I hear him twice.

Carter and him are in charge of the route while I watch the east boulevard. Others guys have spread to watch over the west and other roads.

« Second snake on branch. » It's Carter that announces the approach of the second convoy. The lieutenant barely pronounces his copy over the frequency.

The east road remains empty. The curfew is even more efficient than planned, not a protester even in sight. In hiding perhaps, but none detected for now.

Even with the wild wind I manage to hear the sound of the powerful engines, tires screeching over the concrete.

« Snake in nest. » Max speaks in a low voice on the radio, close to a whisper. I only hear him once.

If the streets were quiet, they've gone deadly silent now. I hold my breath as well. The engines stop, coming to an halt in front of the parliament. I don't think any of us breathe until Max lets out a curse. Well a series of them.

« Phase 1A over. » Lieutenant Riley breaks the heavy silence. We breathe again but it doesn't last for long.

The cars start again to park underground as Carter announces the second convoy. The wind tries to slap at my face again, but the cold has subsided. The five cars stop in front the historical building again. The east boulevard is still empty.

« What's he doing? » Carter talks loud enough for me to hear, then repeats on radio. No answer comes.

« Why did he stop? » Lieutenant asks the unit, I can hear the irritation in his voice.

I'm watching the east and with no instructions of change in the plan, I'm growing annoyed to be kept blind. My stomach feels funny. I reposition my laying body to alleviate the growing feeling.

« He's looking in your guys' building Max, didn't I tell you to shut the fuck up? Think it's time to curse them out? » The lieutenant is close to yelling, aggravated though I doubt he has any proof of Max's insults.

« We're 30 floors up Sir, doubt he heard me bitching. » Max doesn't even refute the accusations, dumbass.

It's my neck's turn to feel fuzzy, did I catch a cold?

I push the sniper deeper in my shoulder to scratch my neck, it doesn't do anything.

« Fuck. » I whisper, wishing I could take my helmet off to wipe my forehead, feeling beads of sweat building up. The east is clear.

« Second snake in nest. » Carter announces on the radio, sounding more than relieved.

« Phase 1B over, moving to phase 2. » Lieutenant Riley announces abruptly.

I see both my friends relax visibly in the corner of my eye, my stomach still feels warm but it's a lot more manageable.

« Think that monster was looking at you, Marsh. » Max spits out so only the three of us can hear.

« What? » I can't switch positions, I'm left to crank my neck to look at them.

They seem tense, Max unmoving.

« Yeah, he turned to you after looking up. » It's Carter that messes with me now.

« Fuck off. » I don't feel like playing their silly games.

I still catch the look of fury on Max's face as he stares down the second convoy's cars going to park under the parliament.

I turn back to the east, still silently stretching ahead. I don't mention the feeling that decreases to a simple warmth in my stomach but that somehow doesn't stop.

« Phase 2. I repeat, Phase 2. » I don't recognize the voice with the wind, but the three of us move towards the elevator. 

-

hi, let me know if you spot errors in language :)