16 - Friend Fear

I'm sorry for the delay, I've been working on another story which will be up soon. Follow me for updates :).

-

The next days go by peacefully. The monster I have to share a room with is calmer. We fall into a routine : waking up, eating, reading and doing it until the sun goes down. He never sleeps on the bed, only lays quietly as my side when I read, gets on the floor when my eyes drop. We haven't fought again yet, he hasn't touched me again yet. Not in that way at least.

He still hasn't gotten any news from Detroit yet, at least pretends so. We don't communicate much, though his eyes never leave me. Anytime I look at him, his eyes move to something else. Sometimes it's just that, sometimes he blushes and several times he maintains the stare until I drop my eyes.

I find it easier now to deal with him. I've figured out when to argue and when to bend, figured out that I can refuse anything but that taunting is a no go. So the days are peaceful. Lise and the alpha- alpha to be, come by every few days, they never get inside though. I sleep well and eat well, I've started to loose the apparent muscle.

I have the itch to run few times a day, instead of becoming a slug. I've started to go through the library, even with my growing yet minimal knowledge of their writings. All the books he has are about war, wolf history and war. He never leaves, reads papers and remains at his desk when I'm in the room. The weather has started to spill into winter, strong winds and soft snow covering the trees.

I always wear sweaters upon sweaters, he doesn't seem to mind when I rummage through his closet. I jump when a knock echoes into the study. Raising my eyes to the desk, Milo scrunches his nose and lets out a sigh. He disregards the papers in his hand, moves to answer the knock. I snuggle into the cover and push my back further into the sofa.

It's probably the couple of wolves again. He moves to the bedroom without a sound, doesn't even glance my way. It's unusual. I shrug as he disappears, focus back on my book. He's back after a few minutes and I eye him suspiciously when he crouches at my side, light scowl on his face. He types on his phone, other arm sneaking over the couch's rest, behind my head.

« Lise offer tea. » I eye him confused, so she brought a peace offering. Very wolf like. The question is, is it for him or for me?

« Sure. » I close my book and put my feet on the ground. His hand pushes me back and I almost topple over.

« What ? » I frown at his hand, push his chest back when he leans over my knees, head and shoulders on my lap.

He types again, side of his head on my thighs. He's frowning but it looks more like unease than anger. More like fear.

« You only. I go » he pushes his head to rest against my stomach, eyes pleading. Does he want me to refuse ?

I don't think I want to stay alone with a wolf that isn't Milo, that doesn't me give a guarantee that they won't kill me. Refusing means pleasing him. Accepting means annoying him. It's a chance I need to take, she's a pregnant wolf, won't risk hating her baby.

« Okay. » I whisper, bitting the fear down. He gives a soft growl, it's not soothing. He's definitely annoyed. I need to take this opportunity, maybe- just maybe she can help me, at least give me information.

He nuzzled my lap a few more minutes, sits back on his heals and pushes the cover higher on my shoulders. He's pouting as he takes my index in his fingers, caresses and pulls the digit. I wait until he's done, understand I need to let him have something.

He leaves with one last look over his shoulder, jaw clutched tight. It only takes a second for Lise to come into the study, tray in hand. Her soft smile is permanently stuck on, eyes shining. She eyes the door and I hear it close. She sighs and shakes her head.