28 - Longing Less

As usual, I'm open for corrections and questions :) step into my message if you want to chat !

-

I have to focus to unbuckle and to push the car door open when I see Milo doing it. He's already on my side by the time I put even a foot on the ground. He pushes the door open the rest of the way, arm casually leaning over. One of his eyebrow is raised in a permanent manner, I catch him rubbing his forehead once he closes the door behind me.

I don't think it's the nerves, he looks more annoyed than anything. I don't get why he wanted me here if he doesn't want to be here himself. I see his tongue work over his teeth when he pushes an open palm to me. The guards around us still don't acknowledge our presence, out of fear or hate I'm not sure. I'd rather not look at them.

Yet I can't help but to be mindful of them, push my hands in the pockets of my jacket with heated cheeks. Milo doesn't react, he pushes me forward with a bump of his torso against my back. I have to keep my head low to hide the blush because his body doesn't leave mine even as we move forward.

We're in the queen of the wolves' place yet all I can think about is his warm, almost scorching chest against me. Is that why he's doing it ? Maybe it's just a wolf thing, or he's mad I didn't take his hand, but somehow it doesn't feel like it. We move inside and I'm met with a much cooler air.

I thought these guys never used the heater. My shoes squeak over the shining white stone floor. The walls are lined with light wood and golden swirls around the edges, somehow it reminds me of the parliament, but grander and better maintained. Century-old furniture too wealthy for humans and guards every few meters stay put.

I can't help but to look up at Milo when he secures a hand around my stomach, his thumbs skimming over the expense of my shirt and fingertips clutching around my side. He doesn't even look back, not Milo is glaring at a wolf soldier we pass by. I can tell his pressure is rising because my neck turns the slightest bit numb.

Did he look at me wrong? At Milo ? I understand it would be delicate to reject him here. I don't want fuel the hate towards him, to urge them to pity me more than they already do. So I simply pull a hand out to rest over his, pinch the skin of wrist just enough for him to notice me. But he doesn't, not Milo continues to push me forward with his body.

When doesn't even look at me I can tell it's useless, so I let my hand limp over his warm wrist. I don't want to be mean to him here, don't want to hurt him when he's among his pack, even if they see it otherwise. I wonder if he'll be treated differently when the son takes the throne, maybe it'll be better with a leader that likes him.

He leads me down a series of corridors that make me think this place is much bigger than I initially thought. I let him, and merely pull my body with his blindly, too focused on his warm hand and mechanical skills. I seriously need to spend time with other people than him. I miss Lise. We stop at the junction, only a way on ether side of us. A cream sofa right in a middle, carpet of the same color that looks brand new and too soft to be in a hallway.

I finally let my head look around because we haven't met any other wolf for a while now. The ceiling is lined with intricate designs and the soft light comes only from evenly placed small chandeliers. I almost jump when Milo's face comes down to lean into my neck, tickling my skin with his breath. The fingers on my side push in just enough for me to slightly have to bend in response.

Milo's fingers have pulled up my shirt unintentionally but I can't help but to shudder when one of his warm digits skims over the exposed skin of my waist. He's gotten cocky. I pinch the top of his skin and turn my face to glare at him but Milo's eyes are already on me, face blank but glance heated. I wonder where his confidence is coming from, or maybe he could tell my thoughts on the way over.