3. Sweatpants

"Sloan, my boy, you put too much pressure on yourself. You shouldn't work too hard. That boss of yours needs to stop thinking about money, he has too much of those already." Sloan's mother scolded him, and the man laughed softly and pulled his mom into an embrace.

"I love you, mom. You always know how to make me laugh. But no, mom...this is what rich people do, they work and make money, and then they kept on making money. Sometimes I think it's what they do to feed us, poor people."

"Hush, don't ever say that. You're not poor, we live well. A good suburban house with warm food in our bellies three times a day, good clothes, a car, and more. We're far from poor, what we have is better than what your great great grandparents had back in their days."

Sloan practically wanted to roll his eyes, cause that was not what he meant. But his mom always takes his words seriously. The heavy steps of his sister's children made him stop thinking about her mom's words when Sloan gave them his biggest smile and opened his arms wide for their incoming hugs.

Sloan was having his monthly family dinner with his mom, his sister, her husband, and their three children where things got rowdy very quickly. Since his dad passed away a couple of years ago Sloan decided to move back in with his mom. He didn't want her to feel all alone since his sister had moved out of the house and lived with her family. She did invite mom to stay at theirs but mom had refused, saying that she wanted to live in her home.

That said, Vera, Sloan's sister was relieved when her brother decided that he'd move back home with their mom. It was no hardship for Sloan since he was rarely at home. Between work, and his friends he goes home to sleep. But with their mom in the picture, he started to make time for morning coffees and dinners or late-night tea time with mom because she would often wait up for him on weekdays.

When everything had quieted down after Vera and her family left, Sloan was finishing the dishes. His mom was making tea, putting the kettle over the stove for them to share.

"You know, I think your sister has a point, it's time you should start dating seriously maybe a nice woman or a dashing young man who's ready to build a family?"

Sloan had never hidden his sexuality from his family and he was lucky enough that they accepted him for who he was. Though he never brought his dates home. All because he never intended things to be serious between them.

"I'm still twenty-four mom, I have time to build a family. I need savings for that too you know, and I'm not at a point in my life to support a family yet, financially." Sloan takes a seat beside his mom and drinks his tea.

"I know, but the dating process itself will take time. Maybe in a year or two, or maybe three, you will find that someone special. But if you keep working and hooking up..."

"Mom!" Sloan cut his mom, he was embarrassed that his mom knew about his hookups. He didn't even want to hear that she knew the word hookups and what it meant, that just was one of the things he didn't want his sweet mom to know.

"Hey, I'm in tune with the younger generations and what's going on socially. And... my girls from the book club were talking about their children. Look, honey, I just want you to be happy. I think hooking up is a temporary solution, you need to fall in love, and experience the whole part of finding that special someone. I'm happy for Vera and her very loud family, and I want you to be happy too."

Sloan had to laugh at her last words before continuing, "I will mom, all in good time." He put his hand on hers then they chatted about other stuff before he retreat to his room.

There, Sloan was back on his phone checking up on his emails. He tried to relax, but his mind was restless and so he decided to go out. His mom was already asleep, he didn't bother to inform her that he was going out. Sloan got his keys and jacket before he ordered a ride and decided to go to Zephyr.