~16~

Equinophobia: Fear of Horses

Aurelia hated running.

She had spent most of her childhood sitting in her bedroom and working her powers. Although her skills with a sword were one of the best, her stamina when it came to running was not that good. Even when she was merely walking through the Amazon's base of operations she was tired.

It was a miracle she wasn't panting. Her ability to control her physical reaction sometimes astounded even her.

The first part of escaping was easy. They retrieved their things with no problem, then started climbing down the ladder. Every time Amazons swarmed beneath them, demanding their surrender, Hazel made a crate of jewelry explode, burying them in a Niagara Falls of gold and silver. When they got to the bottom of the ladder, they found Amazons trapped to their necks in bead necklaces, several more upside down in a mountain of amethyst earrings, and a battle forklift buried in silver charm bracelets.

"You, Hazel Levesque, are entirely freaking incredible," Frank praised.

Aurelia thought Hazel may have kissed him right then and there, but she took off running to the throne room despite her exhaustion, and her friends all followed.

They stumbled across one Amazon who must have been loyal to Hylla. As soon as she saw the escapees, she turned away like they were invisible.

Percy started to ask, "What the—"

"Some of them want us to escape," Hazel said. "We'll explain later."

The second Amazon they met wasn't so friendly. She was dressed in full armor, blocking the throne room entrance. She spun her spear with lightning speed but this time Percy didn't need Aurelia to defend him. He drew Riptide and stepped into battle. As the Amazon jabbed him, he sidestepped, cut her spear shaft in half, and slammed the hilt of his sword against her helmet.

The guard crumpled.

"I wanted to do it," Aurelia murmured, fears still coursing through her veins and dancing on her skin, ready at her disposal.

"Mars Almighty," Frank gasped. "How did you—that wasn't any Roman technique."

Percy grinned. "The graceus has some moves, my friend. After you."

They ran into the throne room. As promised, Hylla and her guards had cleared out. Hazel dashed over to Arion's cage and swiped an Amazon card across the lock. Instantly the stallion burst forth, rearing in triumph.

Percy and Frank stumbled backward.

"Um ... is that thing tame?" Frank said.

The horse whinnied angrily.

"I don't think so," Percy guessed. "He just said, 'I will trample you to death, silly Chinese Canadian baby man.'"

"You speak horse?" Hazel asked.