~38~

Katagelophobia: Fear of Embarrassment

Aurelia was at ease.

She had a ghost of a smile listening to Annabeth trying to cheer up Hazel with what she called "Percy's Greatest Seaweed Brain Moment."

Aurelia had finished braiding Hazel's hair and had moved onto Annabeth's hair. She was doing a pull through braid, and wishing she was a blonde.

But the ease ended when Frank stumbled down the hall and burst into Hazel's cabin. "Where's Leo?" he gasped. "Take off! Take off!"

The girls shot to their feet.

"Where's Percy?" Annabeth demanded. "And the goat?"

Frank grabbed his knees, trying to breathe. His clothes were stiff and damp, like they'd been washed in pure starch. "On deck. They're fine. We're being followed!"

Annabeth pushed past him, taking three stairs at the time. Aurelia and Hazel were running right behind, and Frank trailed, still gasping for air. Percy and Hedge lay on the deck, looking exhausted. Hedge was missing his shoes. He grinned at the sky, muttering, "Awesome. Awesome." Percy was covered with nicks and scratches, like he'd jumped through a window. He didn't say anything but he grasped Annabeth's hand weakly as if to say, Be right with you, as soon as the world stops spinning.

Leo, Piper and Jason, who'd been eating in the mess hall, came rushing up the stairs.

"What? What?" Leo cried, holding a half-eaten grilled cheese sandwich. "Can't a guy even take a lunch break? What's wrong?"

"Followed!" Frank yelled.

"Followed by what?" Jason asked.

"I don't know!" Frank panted. "Whales? Sea monsters? Maybe Kate and Porky!"

Aurelia thought Annabeth was seconds from strangling the son of Mars. "That makes absolutely no sense. Leo, you'd better get us out of here."

Leo put his sandwich between his teeth, pirates style, and ran for the helm.

Aurelia grabbed Frank's face with her hands, forcing him to look at her. She started to calm his heart rate, allowing him to catch his breath. "Better?"