Chapter 12

"I'm going to KILL HIM!!!"

Claire kicked a tire of Owen's RV in frustration. The ancient relic was currently sitting in a ditch where she had steered it. The engine had overheated, so Zia was currently diagnosing the issue. Claire had been 'helping', but she didn't know head or tail of an engine(especially a diesel) and had ended up as just a hindrance, so Zia had shooed her off. That didn't help her temper, so now Claire was pacing around the mobile home in an angry mood. Why was she angry, you ask? Because she just knew Zia blamed her for the breakdown! She hadn't even done anything!

Claire stopped her pacing in front of the RV, turning and leaning her back against the cold metal. Why had she expected everything to go smoothly? This was Owen's 'van', something was bound to be wrong with it! Who knew what disaster Zia was currently picking her way through back there! Owen was going to have a stern talking to later, that was for sure!

She sighed, her anger spent for the moment, and looked at her sneakers. They were the same ones she'd been wearing at the mansion over a week ago. She hadn't exactly been able to find many spare clothes in the RV that would fit her, so she'd been stuck wearing the same outfit for over a week now. At least there was a washing machine that (kind of) worked.

There was a soft click from somewhere behind Claire, followed by the swish of a window opening. "Are you doing okay?" Maisie's voice called out, causing Claire to spin around quickly. The young girl was sitting in the front passenger seat with her head out the sliding window. Her hair looked messy, and her eyes glittered.

"Oh, yes I'm fine." Claire brushed herself off and smiled briefly. At least, I will when I beat the shit out of Owen for being such a bonehead. And then myself for trusting his heap of junk to take us farther than I can throw my shoe! When I get my hands on him-

"Did screaming about murder help?"

Claire stared at Maisie, who blinked innocently. "You've been spending too much time around Ripper, haven't you?"

"Hey, that's mean! He's a carnivorous dinosaur; he can't help that!"

"Alright, sorry." Claire put her hands up in a placating gesture, which seemed to work as Maisie appeared to calm down. "Anyways, why are you out here?"

The brown-haired girl hopped down from the doorway onto grass, her eyes glinting in the darkness of the night. "I was bored, so I came out here. Do you know what went wrong?"

"Unfortunately, no." Claire let out an exasperated sigh. "Zia's working on it. I hope she can figure it out soon, though. It's cold." She shivered to prove her point.

"It's not that cold," Maisie responded, "but if you need to warm yourself up, the heater works inside. Owen fixed it a few days back, remember?"

"Oh, yeah." Claire followed Maisie into the RV's interior, which had an old 80's look about it. Maisie showed Claire the controls to the house heater, which were funnily enough located in the master bedroom. With the heater now on and apparently working, Claire sat down on the dark leather couch situated just behind the driver's seat. She was tired, not just physically but mentally. The shock of having a talking raptor as a-friend? Companion? Ally? She wasn't sure-had worn off, and now that InGen was hunting him and therefore everyone down, she felt drained from the stress. She needed a break. And a stern talk with Owen once they met up again.

"Is something wrong?"

The concerned tone of Maisie broke Claire out of her thoughts. She turned to look at the little girl who was sitting to her right, legs crossed and looking at Claire with a worried expression. She's good at reading moods.