chapter 7

delia had already texted jack earlier that morning and asked him when he would have a chance to talk. of course, this sent jack into a panic mode and started freaking out. delia then had to reassure him that it was nothing major and that she just needed to talk something out with him. after that, jack started to relax a bit.

currently, delia was at her apartment she shared with emery. she had spent the night with her cousin and trevor and decided she should probably go back to her place. she would see them later since they had a home game tomorrow. in the meantime, she was anticipating jack's phone call.

her phone started ringing with jack's contact popping up. she picked up the phone fast and heard him say, "delia, what's going on?"

"jack, everything is fine! i'm just getting really nervous about meeting your family," delia explained.

she could hear jack sigh in relief over the phone. it was almost as if he was holding his breath. delia frowned, thinking maybe he believed she was going to break up with him over the phone.

"okay, good! i mean that's not good. but good that it's not something that can't be fixed. you know what, i'm just going to shut up now," jack rambled.

delia laughed, "that was absolutely adorable, but not helping me at all."

"oh, right! delia, trust me, my parents are going to love you. they're so excited to meet you, you have no idea! and luke already likes you and you guys only talked once. you got this in the bag!" jack encouraged her.

delia asked, "what about quinn?" she knew essentially nothing about him and was the wildcard of the family.

"quinn won't be an issue. if anything, he'll probably help take the heat off of you at dinner. i can ask him to divert conversations if you want me to. my parents haven't seen him in awhile, so i'm sure he can come up with questions for them," jack offered.

delia didn't really want to ask quinn of that especially since they didn't know each other. the little voice in her head was telling her to the accept the offer though. jack was trying to make the situation better for her and she should listen to what he has to say.

the blonde responded, "only if you think it won't be a burden on him. i don't want him to worry about me at dinner. that's not his responsibility."

"he'll gladly do it, don't worry about it," jack emphasized.

she smiled. she was going to get through this. then she remembered about the game. her heart started pacing again. "jack, what about the actual hockey game where you and quinn won't be there?" she asked.

jack thought about it for a minute. he could tell this was actually stressing her out. he knew his parents weren't hard people to get along with, but he also knew how much delia valued other people's opinion. ideas started swirling in his head until he found one that made the most sense for delia.

"how about i give you a list of topics my parents are interested in for conversation starters?" jack suggested.

it was as if delia's world had slowed down. her anxiety was gone. "that would be the best thing! you are a life saver!" delia shouted.

jack chuckled, "anything for you!"

there was a moment of silence. delia couldn't stop smiling while jack was thinking about how he lucky he was that he had a girl that wanted to impress his parents so much. it showed that she cared.

"i hate to cut this call short because i really do miss you, but i need to get to practice! i love you and i'll see you soon!" jack sadly said.

"it's okay! i know you're a busy guy! i love you too!" delia said back.

who would have known that emery and cole had a good idea. surely not delia.